Area of Practice
- Products Liability
- Toxic Tort
- Washington University School of Law, J.D., 2012
- University of Missouri-Columbia, B.A. in Psychology, 2006
Alemayehu A. Ayanaw focuses his practice on trials involving complex business litigation matters, including asbestos, toxic torts, premises liability, and product liability.
Prior to joining HeplerBroom, he served as Attorney Advisor of the Office of Independent Trustees for the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Trust. In this role, he helped to oversee the day-to-day operation of the $20 billion fund BP established to address the claims of those affected by the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
While in law school, Mr. Ayanaw clerked for the General Counsel offices of a national producer and distributor of food products and a global biopharmaceutical company, respectively.
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
Law Schools Honors/Involvement
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association, Microsoft Corporation Fellow
- Wiley Rutledge Moot Court Board
- Faculty Appointments Committee
Published Legal Writing
- Co-author, amicus brief, accepted by Illinois Supreme Court in Moon v. Rhode, addressing the discovery rule in an action brought under the Wrongful Death Act.
- “PA 98-1131 - Can it Really ‘Breathe Life’ into a Time-Barred Claim?” IDC Quarterly (Vol. 25, No. 2, 2015, pp. 20-22.)