St. Louis, MO
Areas of Practice
- Employment & Labor Law
- Products Liability
- St. Louis University School of Law, J.D., Certificate in Health Law, 2008
- Northwestern University, B.A. in Economics and Political Science, 2005
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the
- 7th Circuit
- 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Western District of Missouri
- Central District of Illinois
- Southern District of Illinois
David J. Deterding focuses his practice on the handling of labor and employment & commercial litigation matters. He has represented both public and private companies in the agricultural, aviation, construction, education, insurance, manufacturing, medical, public utility, and transportation industries and has handled cases in state and federal courts in both Missouri and Illinois.
Mr. Deterding represents and advises employers on a wide array of legal and human resource matters, including issues related to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Equal Pay Act (EPA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and the Missouri Human Rights Act (MHRA), among others. He has experience in defending employers against administrative charges and litigation related to claims of wrongful termination, discrimination and harassment, breach of employment and non-compete agreements, and claims of wage and hour violations. In addition, he is routinely asked to review employment policy manuals and handbooks and to advise employers on best practices.
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Defense Research Institute
- Employment & Labor Law Committee
- Litigation Tactics Subcommittee
- Human Resource Management Association of Greater St. Louis
- Workforce Readiness Committee
- Illinois Bar Journal
- Editorial Board (2009-2010)
- The Journal of the Missouri Bar
- Editorial Board (2013 - present)
- Lawyers Association of St. Louis
- Missouri Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Law Committee
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Publications Committee
- Society for Human Resource Management
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2013-2017)
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly - Top 10 Defense Verdict (2013)
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Academic Excellence Award
- Dean's Select Scholar
- Lead Editor, St. Louis University Law Journal
Published Legal Writing
- “The Federal-State Divide is Widening: Dispositive Motion Practice in the Context of Hostile Work Environment Claims,” MODL Quarterly Report 14 (Fall 2015).
- “Avoiding Employee Litigation: An Employer's Guide to Arbitration Agreements in Missouri,” MODL Quarterly Report 7 (Summer 2014).
- “Missouri's Illinois Collateral Source Rules Affect Bodily Injury Claims Differently,” Midwest News, Insurance Journal (October 14, 2009).
- “A Deference Based Dilemma: The Implication of Lewis v. Thompson for Access to Non-Emergency Health Benefits For Undocumented Alien Children,” 52 St. Louis U. L.J. 951 (2008).