Areas of Practice
- Products Liability
- Toxic Tort
- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A. in English, 1999
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Northern (Eastern Division) and Central Districts of Illinois
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
Edna L. McLain focuses her litigation practice on the defense of corporate clients in toxic tort and general liability cases, as well as the defense of nursing homes, nurses, and other medical personnel in medical negligence cases. She has coordinated the discovery responses and corporate representative depositions of multiple asbestos clients, negotiated settlements, prepared and argued motions, and managed the trial preparation of hundreds of cases. She successfully argued an appeal before the Illinois Second District Appellate Court and has tried multiple medical negligence cases to defense verdicts in Illinois.
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Chicago Hospital Risk Management Society
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Wisconsin Bar Association
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2014-2017)
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Saint Louis University Law Journal
Published Legal Writing
- Edna L. McLain and Tammera E. Banasek, “How to Be Thankful When Setting a Wrongful Death Claim,” 27 Ill. Assoc. of Defense Trial Counsel Quarterly 32 (2017).
- Edna L. McLain and Zeke N. Katz, “Clash of the Titans: The Interaction of the Wrongful Death Act, Statute of Repose, Statute of Limitations and the Discovery Rule,” 26 Ill. Assoc. of Defense Trial Counsel Quarterly (2016).
- Dina L. Torrisi and Edna L. McLain, “Silencing the Dead: Invoking and Avoiding the Pitfalls of the Dead Man’s Act,” 23 Ill. Assoc. of Defense Trial Counsel Quarterly 41 (2013).
- Dina L. Torrisi and Edna L. McLain, “The Scope of the ‘Sufficiently Close Relationship’ Test: How Porter v. Decatur Is Changing the Landscape of Relation Back,” 21 Ill. Assoc. of Defense Trial Counsel Quarterly 44 (2011).
Representative/Rcent Case Results
- Defense verdict (Cook County Case No. 09 L 7740, 2015)
- Defense verdict (Winnebago County Case No. 12 L 137, 2014)
- Defense verdict (Kane County Case No. 09 L 541, 2012)
- Appellate Court of Illinois Second District (Case No. 2-11-0774, 2012)
- Defense verdict after retrial (Cook County Case No. 11 L 1054, 2011)