Area of Practice
- Environmental Law
- Southern Illinois University School of Law, J.D., 1987
- University of Arizona-Tucson, B.A. in History, 1982
- Defense Language Institute (Monterey CA), Certification in Russian Language, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S.District Courts for the
- Northern (including Trial Bar), Central, and Southern Districts of Illinois
Edward W. Dwyer focuses his practice in the area of environmental law, including
- Compliance counseling
- Transactional work
He is experienced in handling matters involving virtually all federal environmental statutes, in particular, the federal Resource Conservation Recovery Act (RCRA), Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (Superfund), Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA), and the Clean Water Act (CWA). He also handles the main state environmental statutes, especially the Illinois Environmental Protection Act and its associated regulations. Over his career, he has assisted clients in litigation, transactional matters, and compliance counseling in industries including chemical, petroleum, utility, scrap metal, meat processing, and agriculture, as well as municipalities.
Mr. Dwyer has tried both jury and non-jury cases in state and federal trial courts, as well as before the Illinois Pollution Control Board. He also appears for regulated entities in administrative hearings and appeals concerning environmental regulations, permits, and orders.
Prior to private practice, Mr. Dwyer served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Office of the Illinois Attorney General in the General Law and Environmental Control Divisions. In the former, he represented state agencies and employees in administrative proceedings and acted as trial counsel in both state and federal courts. In the latter, he represented the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency in negotiations, prosecutions, and appeals in state court and before the Illinois Pollution Control Board.
For 24 years, he was in private practice at the environmental law firm Hodge, Dwyer & Driver, which he founded with Katherine D. Hodge. In 2016, Hodge, Dwyer & Driver merged into HeplerBroom.
- Central Illinois Women’s Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Environmental Law Section
- Sangamon County Bar Association
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America (2018-2019)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2011-2014, 2016, 2018)
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Large Animal Feeding Operations in Illinois: The LMFA and Common Law Claims,” ISBA Annual Environmental Conference (Chicago IL, 2010)
- “Reading the Report and Admissible Environmental Evidence,” ISBA Environmental Law Seminar (Chicago IL, 2008)