Area of Practice
- Environmental Law
- Southern Illinois University School of Law in 1987
- University of Arizona, Tucson in 1982, BA
- Defense Language Institute, Monterey California Certification Russian Language, 1977
- Illinois 1988
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit 1996
- United States District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois, including Trial Bar, 1989
- United States District Courts for the Central District of Illinois, 1988
- United States District Courts for the Southern District of Illinois, 1989
Mr. Dwyer focuses his practice in the area of environmental law, including
- Compliance Counseling
- Transactional Work
He practiced environmental law for 24 years at the environmental law firm he founded with Katherine D. Hodge, Hodge, Dwyer & Driver. Effective January 1, 2016, Mr. Dwyer became a partner of HeplerBroom when the practice of Hodge, Dwyer & Driver was merged into that firm, thereby enhancing his ability to represent his clients.
Mr. Dwyer is experienced in handling matters involving virtually all federal environmental statutes, in particular, the federal Resource Conservation Recovery Act (“RCRA”), Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (“Superfund”), Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (“EPCRA”) and the Clean Water Act (“CWA”), as well as the main state environmental statutes, especially the Illinois Environmental Protection Act and its associated regulations. Over his career, Mr. Dwyer has assisted clients in litigation, transactional matters and compliance counseling in industries including chemical, petroleum, utility, scrap metal, meat processing and agriculture, as well as municipalities.
Mr. Dwyer has tried both jury and non-jury cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts as well as before the Illinois Pollution Control Board. He also appears for regulated entities in administrative hearings and appeals concerning environmental regulations, permits and orders.
Prior to private practice, Mr. Dwyer served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Office of the Illinois Attorney General in the General Law and Environmental Control Divisions. In the former, Mr. Dwyer represented state agencies and employees in administrative proceedings, and acted as trial counsel in both state and federal courts. In the latter, he represented the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency in negotiations, prosecutions and appeals in state court and before the Illinois Pollution Control Board.
Professional Association Involvement
- Illinois State Bar Association, and Environmental Law Section
- Sangamon County Bar Association
- Central Illinois Women’s Bar Association
Awards & Distinctions
- Leading Lawyers Network, Environmental Law (since 2011)
- AV Preeminent Attorneys Martindale-Hubbell
- From 1976 until 1980, Mr. Dwyer served in the United States Navy as a Russian linguist. Mr. Dwyer was stationed at the U. S. Naval Base, Rota, Spain and the National Security Agency, Ft. Meade, Maryland.