- Creighton University School of Law, J.D., 1992
- University of Nebraska, B.A. in Political Science; B.A. in Psychology, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Northern District of Illinois
- District of Nebraska
Robert E. Elworth focuses his practice on the defense of liability claims, including:
- Insurance producer and insurance coverage litigation
- Commercial litigation
- Appellate practice
He has represented clients in litigation pending in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Texas, and Louisiana. He has briefed dozens of cases in the Illinois Supreme and Appellate Courts, the United States Supreme Court, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the Iowa Supreme Court, and the Nebraska Court of Appeals. Mr. Elworth also has argued before the Illinois Appellate Court and the Nebraska Court of Appeals.
- Appellate Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Vice Chair, Amicus Committee (2021-2022)
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2017-2022)
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2017)
Published Legal Writing
- “Environmental Attorneys’ Amici Briefs Get It Right,” HeplerBroom Blog (October 8, 2020). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “What’s the Outlook for Insurance Producers’ Liability if Their Clients’ COVID-19 Business Interruption Claims are Denied?” Hepler Broom Blog (April 20, 2020). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Does an Illinois Insurance Producer Owe a Legal Duty to an Additional Insured on a Policy It Procured? It Certainly Shouldn’t, and Here’s Why,” HeplerBroom Blog (August 29, 2019). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Illinois Supreme Court has Opportunity to Clarify Fiduciary Duties Owed by Insurance Producers to Clients,” HeplerBroom Blog (April 18, 2018). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Informed Consent in Orthopedic Surgery,” white paper for presentation at annual meeting of American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (2010).
- “Proving and Disproving Damages in Personal Injury Cases,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Chapter 6, “Impaired Earning Capacity: Defendant’s Perspective” (2006-2021 Supplements).
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Impaired Earning Capacity: Defendant’s Perspective,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education seminars, (Chicago IL, 2010; Peoria IL, 2007).
- Various topics and seminars, Claims Association of Greater Chicago (2007–2009).
- Instructor for Business Law and Environmental Law courses, Roosevelt University (Chicago IL, 1996–1998).
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Bogenberger v. Pi Kappa Alpha Corp., 2018 IL 120951
- Frulla v. Hyatt Corporation, 2018 IL App (1st) 172329
- Horlacher v. Cohen, 2017 IL App (1st) 162712
- RVP, LLC, v. Advantage Insurance Services, Inc., 2017 IL App (3d) 160276
- Western Cons. Premium Properties, Inc., v. Norman-Spencer Agency, Inc., 845 F.3d 313 (7th Cir. 2017)
- Office Furnishings, Ltd. v. AF Crissie & Co., 2015 IL App (1st) 141724
- Andrews v. Metropolitan Water Rec. Dist. Of Greater Chicago, 2019 IL 124283 (amicus)
- American Family Mutual Insurance Company v. Krop, 2018 IL 122556 (amicus)
- Carney v. Union Pacific Railroad Co., 2016 IL 118984 (amicus)
- James Kakos, D.D.S. v. Jerry Bauer, M.D., 2016 IL 120377 (amicus)