- The John Marshall Law School, n/k/a UIC John Marshall Law School J.D., 1997
- St. Mary's University of Minnesota, B.A. in Political Science/History, 1993
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of Illinois
- Southern District of Indiana
- Eastern District of Michigan
Amy E. Johnson focuses her practice on insurance, personal injury and property damage, premises, cybersecurity, and appellate law. She is a certified mediator with a strong track record in both corporate and private practice.
Ms. Johnson has 20 years of experience mitigating risk on coverage issues and high exposure or bad faith claims. She also has significant litigation experience in bad faith insurance claims, including a successful appeal record. Her work includes all product lines (third-party general liability, errors and omissions, directors and officers/professional risk, EPL, first-party commercial property, personal umbrella, and surety bonds), as well as primary, umbrella, and excess coverage. She has a strong understanding of risk analysis, sharp organizational and tactical skills, and the ability to promote and execute strategies. Ms. Johnson is known for achieving cost-effective resolution of claims. She has the unique ability to simultaneously create high-level strategic plans and execute them at a detailed level.
Her past experience includes 13 years as Director of Property & Casualty Claims at a national insurance company. As in-house counsel, she was in charge of bad faith litigation and extra-contractual claims at a national level. She developed a unique, settlement-based strategy based on intensive investigation and expert resources, which minimized risk and maximized negotiating position. In addition, she has private practice experience litigating insurance coverage, bad faith, and personal injury/property damage cases.
- American College of Coverage Counsel
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Insuralex (Global Insurance Lawyers Group)
- Illinois State Representative
- American Association of Insurance Management Consultants
- Illinois Chapter, International Association of Special Investigation Units
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Pathways to Success,” Independent Insurance Agents of Illinois webinar (2022).
- “The Claim File: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly,” American Association of Insurance Management Consultants annual meeting (2022).
- “Catastrophes and the Impact of Public Pressure and Government Action,” DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (Chicago IL, 2021).
- “COVID-19 and the Global (Re)Insurance Industry – Thinking Ahead,” Insuralex (webinar, 2020).
- “Analyzing Business Interruption Suits Arising Out of COVID-19,” #covlit (webinar, 2020).