Areas of Practice
- Products Liability
- Toxic Tort
- Case Western Reserve University, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- George Mason University, B.A. in American Government & Politics, 2002
- United States District Courts for the
- Southern District of Illinois
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
Joshua C. Schumacher has significant litigation experience on behalf of a variety of diverging corporate constituencies. He has litigated significant cases involving products liability, toxic torts, commercial, pharmaceutical, financial, and securities issues on behalf of mid-market and Fortune 500 companies located in the United States and abroad. Mr. Schumacher has litigated cases in a wide variety of state and federal jurisdictions involving large consumer, food and beverage, industrial, pharmaceutical, and commercial product manufacturers; major international banks; significant pension funds; state regulatory agencies; and Attorneys General. His clients and matters have included:
- multiple Fortune 500 manufacturing clients in asbestos, benzene, silica, lead, and other toxic tort exposure matters in state and federal courts throughout the country
- an international oil and gas production components manufacturer in products liability actions related to alleged manufacturing and design defects
- a European manufacturing company regarding toxic tort matters related to alleged silica exposure
- a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical manufacturer in multiple courts regarding products liability actions related to alleged adverse pre-natal health effects of anti-anxiety pharmaceuticals
- a European-based brewer in a multi-national/jurisdictional breach of contract action
- a State regulatory agency in litigation regarding alleged violations of the State’s banking, securities, and insurance regulations involving multiple regulated financial institutions
- multiple pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in litigation surrounding employer non-compete issues for key employees
- multiple States’ Attorneys General in regulatory enforcement suits surrounding the marketing, sale, and distribution of various name-brand and generic pharmaceuticals
- multiple national financial institutions in litigation alleging violations of federal regulations involving mortgage banking and servicing
- a Fortune 500 gaming company in trademark infringement, regulatory, and commercial litigation matters in several federal and state jurisdictions
- a Fortune 100 consumer products manufacturer in multi-district federal products liability litigation
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Paul J. Hergenroeder Award for Excellence in Oral Advocacy, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Currently spending significant time representing Fortune 1000 manufacturing company in litigation claiming exposure to hydro-carbon and oil and gas derivative products caused fatal illnesses.
- After extensive expert depositions, briefing, and oral argument, secured positive Daubert ruling barring testimony of all Plaintiff’s experts on behalf of well-known American beverage manufacturer in litigation surrounding alleged exposure to toxins at client’s facility.
- Secured significant summary judgment ruling on behalf of Fortune 100 products manufacturing client on eve of trial in highly contested matter alleging wholesale design defects.
- After significant litigation at trial level, assisted in securing major appellate victory on behalf of state regulatory agency challenging the very authority of the subject regulatory body’s authority over defendant corporation.