Attorney of Counsel
Areas of Practice
- Banking & Financial Services
- Corporate & Business
- Employment & Labor Law
- Healthcare Law
- Non-Profit Law
- Professional Liability
- Real Estate
- DePaul University College of Law, L.L.M. in Health Law, 2012
- De Paul University College of Law, J.D., 2010
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S. in Finance, 2007
Wasif A. Khan is a healthcare and corporate attorney who focuses his practice on the corporate and regulatory needs of healthcare professionals, medical and dental practices, healthcare entities [e.g., community hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers (ASCs), urgent care centers], small to midsize businesses, and nonprofit organizations.
He represents a variety of healthcare clients—ranging from medical/dental practices to hospitals and ASCs—and counsels them on corporate, regulatory, and employment matters. He also serves as general counsel to a number of healthcare practices, pharmacies, and healthcare entities. In addition to handling routine business contracts and agreements, practice sales and acquisitions, and routine employment issues, he provides regulatory guidance on HIPAA, Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and other state and federal healthcare regulations.
Mr. Khan also services the corporate and transactional needs of small to midsize businesses and nonprofit entities. He routinely counsels startup technology companies, restaurants, and other businesses, including drafting governing documents and business agreements and providing guidance on a variety of compliance matters. In addition, he helps establish nonprofit organizations, files tax-exempt applications for a variety of charitable organizations (including “friends of,” professional societies, title holding companies, publicly supported charities, and private foundations), and provides comprehensive board training on governance and best practices.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
Law School Honors/Involvement
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award (Evidence)
- Dean’s List
Published Legal Writing
- “Physician Leadership in ACO Management and Governance,” AHLA Practice Organizations Newsletter (June 2012)
- “Accountable Care Organizations: A Response to Critical Voices,” DePaul Journal of Health Care Law (Spring 2012)
- “Accountable Care Organizations: A Viable Model or Reversible Error?” Chicago Hospital News and Healthcare Report (April 2012)
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Dental Practice Acquisitions: Reviewing the Purchase Agreements,” CE Prof, Inc.’s Dental Practice Acquisitions: The A to Z for First Time Buyers (2018)
- “Regulatory Compliance for New Owners: Necessary Policies and Procedures,” CE Prof, Inc.’s Dental Practice Acquisitions: The A to Z for First Time Buyers (2018)
- “Creative Models of Healthcare Delivery to the Underserved,” Islamic Society of North America (2015)
- “Creating and Maintaining a Successful Health Clinic Under the Affordable Care Act,” American Muslim Health Conference (2015)
- “Employment Concerns for Hospital-Based Physicians,” Rockford Medical Profession (2013)
- “Legal Issues and Concerns for Islamic Parochial Schools,” Islamic Society of North America Education Forum (2013)
- “Hot Topics in Healthcare Reform: A Legal Perspective,” National Arab American Medical Association (2012)
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Structured and planned buy-out of retiring dentist and buy-in of new dentist for $1.5 million dental practice in Chicago.
- Drafted employee and HIPAA manual for dental and medical practices and provided training on both documents to staff.
- Successfully defended dentists in front of IDFPR for poor recordkeeping and billing related issues.
- Represented vascular and vein practice in multi-million dollar sale to national management company.
- Represented major Midwest neurology institute in structuring ownership and acquisition of ASCs and physician-owned hospital. Drafted medical staff by-laws; responded to patient complaints, patient terminations, and medical board issues; and structured Stark and Anti-Kickback compliant compensation arrangements.
- Serve as general counsel to Lake County non-profit that addresses poverty by providing access to GED classes, basic food and clothing, and competency training in major life skills.
For a complete list of Representative/Recent Case Results, click here.