Areas of Practice
- Medical & Dental Malpractice
- Nursing Home
- Professional Liability
- Southern Illinois University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2010
- Eastern Illinois University, B.A. in Sociology, 2006
- U. S. District Courts for the
- Southern District of Illinois
- Central District of Illinois
Leslie M. Odom focuses her practice on healthcare defense litigation and regulatory matters, including medical malpractice, nursing home liability, hospital regulations and compliance, nursing home administrative law proceedings, and healthcare facility premises liability. She has defended hospitals, nursing homes, physicians, nurses, and mental health professionals.
She previously served as an Extern for the United States Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of Illinois and as a Judicial Extern for the Honorable J. Phil Gilbert, U. S. District Judge in the Southern District of Illinois.
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Seminar Co-Chair, “New Trends in Medical Malpractice: From Conflict Checks to Trial” (Chicago IL, 2018)
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, Emerging Lawyer (2018-2019)
Law School Honors/Involvement
- CALI Awards for Academic Excellence in
- Federal Court
- Insurance Law
- Criminal Procedure II
- Trial Advocacy
- Dean's List
- Southern Illinois University Law Journal
- Lead Articles Editor (2009-2010)
- Staff Member (2008-2009)
- Taylor Mattis Fellow (2008-2010)
- Trial Team (2009-2010)
Published Legal Writing
- “Policy Prevails: The Illinois Supreme Court Declines to Expand Apparent Agency Claims Against Hospitals,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 28, No. 2 (2018). (Co-author with HeplerBroom partner Dede Zupanci)
- “The Right to Privacy v. The Right to Assistance of Counsel: Balancing the Petrillo Doctrine in Medical Malpractice Cases,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 27, No. 2 (2017). (Co-author with HeplerBroom partner Dede Zupanci)
- “Double Take: How HIPAA and State Laws Impact Your Response to Requests for Protected Health Information,” Physician Connection, Issue 1 (2017).
- “Practical Considerations for Young Attorneys: Discovery in Federal Court,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 2 (2015).
- “No More Pants on the Ground in Collinsville: An Equal Protection Review,” Illinois Lawyer Now, Vol. 3, No. 3 (2012).
- “The Investors Weren’t Tricked, But How Were They Treated? The Seventh Circuit Redefines Fiduciary Duty in Jones v. Harris Associates, L.P., 527 F.2d 923 (7th Cir. 2008),” Southern Illinois University Law Journal, Vol. 34, No. 2 (2010).
- “Legal Issues for Mental Health Professionals,” Creve Coeur Counseling Associates (St. Louis MO, 2018)
- “Recent Developments in Nursing Home Case Law,” Illinois Institute Continuing Legal Education (2015)