HeplerBroom’s Municipal Practice Group helps its clients stay on top of an increasingly complex maze of laws and regulations. It is well-qualified to advise and provide counsel to local government officials and employees. We are experienced in representing a variety of local government entities, including municipalities, counties, park districts, school districts, and fire protection districts. Our attorneys work consistently with the laws governing the critical day-to-day matters encountered by local governments, including litigation, legislative and procedural matters, federal and state compliance issues, ethics and conflicts of interest, public bidding, purchasing and contracting, open meetings and open records, and labor and personnel for public employees. Our attorneys represent local governments and special districts in a variety of capacities—from general counsel to special counsel—and in a variety of areas, including:
- municipal law
- civil rights defense (police misconduct, unlawful policy and procedure, sexual abuse, First Amendment violations)
- tort litigation (personal injury, wrongful death, property damage, breach of contract and negligence actions)
- employment litigation (discrimination, retaliation, wrongful discharge, breach of employment contracts, whistle blowers, disability)
- FOIA responses
- council, committee, and board meetings
- government functions and practices
- vendor contracts
- land use matters
- labor negotiations
- defense of tort claims and other insurance matters
Our team’s first step is to gain a thorough understanding of each governmental unit’s individual needs. Next, we develop goals for resolving any current issues, and then we apply our experience, skill, and creativity to help reach those goals.
We also use our substantial experience in general and litigation matters involving all aspects of local government law to help ensure that our clients operate productively and efficiently. Our team takes a proactive approach to incident and catastrophic response to lessen potential liability for public sector clients, which reduces the number of lawsuits filed, the costs of defense, and ultimate liability. If litigation does occur or is required, our experienced legal team will work to provide a swift and effective resolution to the matter.