St. Louis, MO
- Saint Louis University Law School, J.D., 1977
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A. in English, 1973
- New York
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the
- 7th Circuit
- 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- Southern District of New York
Theodore J. MacDonald, Jr., focuses his practice on trial litigation in the areas of:
- Medical malpractice
- Federal white-collar criminal investigations
- Mediation and alternative dispute resolution (Certified Neutral for USDC Eastern District of Missouri)
- Products liability
- Executive employment law
- Commercial litigation
- Qui tam (False Claims Act/Whistleblower)
- Insurance law
- Clergy abuse matters
He has been in private practice for over 40 years and has tried numerous jury cases to conclusion in state and federal courts throughout the Midwest. He has been involved in the defense of many federal white-collar investigations involving healthcare, Medicaid/Medicare fraud, banking, and government contract fraud. Mr. MacDonald has also defended more than two dozen clergy abuse matters. Among his numerous corporate clients, he has handled litigation in Southern Illinois and throughout Missouri relating to employment matters for a major dairy, major natural gas incidents, and medical negligence cases for several St. Louis and Southern Illinois hospitals and providers.
On the appellate level, he has argued over 40 cases in state and federal courts, the Seventh and Eighth United States Circuit Courts of Appeals, and the Supreme Courts of Missouri and Illinois.
In addition, he has been retained by numerous parties to mediate complex personal injury, legal malpractice, employment, and commercial cases pending in both Illinois and Missouri state and federal courts.
From 1988 to 2015, he was an Adjunct Professor of Pre-Trial Litigation at Washington University-St. Louis Law School.
Mr. MacDonald is a former Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of Illinois, where he prosecuted bank fraud and other white-collar criminal cases and defended the United States in Federal Tort Claim Act cases.
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Lawyers Association St. Louis
- Madison County Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- New York State Bar Association
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
Awards & Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America (2007-2021)
- 2022 “Lawyer of the Year” – Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants (St. Louis)
- 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” - Bet-the-Company Litigation (Missouri)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2003-2020)
- Advisory Board Member
- Featured in Leading Lawyers Network Magazine-Business Edition: “Trial Lawyer Uses Honesty, Humility, Confidence to Win over Jurors, Clients” (2014) (This article can be read here.)
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2006-2021)
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer (2011-2020)
- ICON Award from Missouri Lawyers Weekly (2020)
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Closing Arguments,” The Lawyers Association of St. Louis & United States Arbitration & Mediation Trial Masters CLE Program (St. Louis MO, 2018).
- “The Art of Mediation,” The Simon Law Firm, P.C. (St. Louis MO, 2018).
- “Taking and Preparing Client Depositions,” USA&M Annual Best Practices Seminar (Collinsville IL, 2015).
- “Products Liability – Daubert,” Washington University-St. Louis Law School Seminar (St. Louis MO, 2009).
- “USA Law re: Regulations of Corporate Fraud,” International Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting (South Hampton, Bermuda, 2007).