St. Louis, MO
- College of William & Mary School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2013
- University of Kansas, B.A. in Political Science, 2010
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri
- Southern District of Illinois
Adam S. McGonigle is a trial attorney who focuses his practice on defending individuals, businesses, and insurers in cases involving automobile and truck accidents, products and premises liability, insurance coverage, and asbestos, benzene, and silica exposures.
Mr. McGonigle has extensive litigation and trial experience in some of the most difficult defense jurisdictions in the country.
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- St. Louis County Bar Association
Awards, Honors, & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers' list of “Ones to Watch” (2021-2023)
Published Legal Writing
- “Data Downloads: Evidence Defense Lawyers Must Obtain,” TIDA Newsletter (Summer 2021). (Co-author). (This article can be read here.)
- “Vehicle Infotainment System Data Cannot be Overlooked,” HeplerBroom Blog (February 4, 2021). (Co-author with HeplerBroom partner Michael Reda) (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Illinois Department of Insurance Cannot Decide Owner-Operator Employment Dispute, Appeals Court Rules,” HeplerBroom Blog (August 6, 2020). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Missouri Legislature Turns Eyes to Punitive Damages,” HeplerBroom Blog (January 30, 2020). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Applying Equitable Estoppel to ERISA Pension Benefit Claims,” 54 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 627 (2012).
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Obtained defense verdict for dairy company in wrongful death case arising out of truck/automobile accident (second chair; Peoria County, Illinois). Plaintiff asked for $15 million. Defense proved truck driver was not defendant’s agent.
- Obtained court order requiring plaintiff to pay $30,000 in defense costs in asbestos case after plaintiff sought to dismiss case on eve of trial after her expert was stricken.
- Secured favorable jury verdict in trip-and-fall case (second chair; Greene County, Illinois). Plaintiff asked for $1 million. Jury returned verdict for substantially less than Plaintiff’s medical bills.
- Secured summary judgment for insurance company in matter involving insurance policy purchased after insured’s vehicle was stolen.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict in rear-end auto accident case involving severe head injury (second chair; St. Louis County, Missouri). Plaintiff asked for $5 million; jury returned verdict for $150,000.