Areas of Practice
- Products Liability
- Notre Dame Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- Dartmouth College, A.B. in Philosophy, with minor in Public Policy, 2007
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Northern District of Illinois
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bankruptcy Court
Jaime L. Padgett is an experienced trial lawyer with numerous first chair trials and verdicts. She focuses her practice on complex civil litigation matters, including the defense of catastrophic bodily injury claims in construction, products, and premises liability cases. As a former plaintiff’s attorney, she brings unique strategic insight to these cases.
In addition to litigation defense, Ms. Padgett also advises clients on contract and commercial matters faced regularly by corporate clients, including commercial general liability coverage and risk management matters and contract evaluation and development. She served as assistant outside general counsel for a large multi-state commercial construction company and handles general liability claims for subsidiaries of a Fortune 500 company.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Vice Chair, Tort Committee (2017-2018, 2018-2019)
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2017-2019)
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Champion, American Bar Association Client Counseling Competition (Notre Dame competition) (2009)
- Journal of Law, Ethics, and Public Policy
- Editor in Chief, Volume 24 (Spring-Fall)
- The Seventh Circuit Review
Published Legal Writing
- “Strategic Considerations and Practice Pointers for Re-Allocating Punitive Damage Awards,” Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel Tort Law Committee, IDC Defense Update, Vol. 19, No. 4 (2018).
- “Tort Law,” Survey of Law, Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (2018).
- “Tort Law,” Survey of Law, Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (2017).
- “The Battle Over Rule 23: Authority v. Precedent,” Brief, Vol. 30, DuPage County Bar Association (2017 and 2018). Co-author with Paul E. Wojcicki, Sara R. Strom, and Patrick F. Sullivan.
- “How Less Is More: The Unraveling of the Inextricable Intertwinement Doctrine Under United States v. Gorman,” 6 Seventh Circuit Review 196 (2011).
Other Professional Activities
- Young Professionals Board Member
- Pro Bono Attorney
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Tried products liability case with demand in excess of $65 million, with sole responsibility for all medical damages witnesses and related pre-trial motions. (2017)
- Won $1,542,000+ verdict in DeKalb County for plaintiff injured when her vehicle was struck by a wild horse, exacerbating her chronic back pain. (2016)
- Negotiated privacy tort settlement for well-known local celebrity and media personality. (2016)
- Researched, synthesized, and wrote appellate brief and reply for wrongful death action. (2016)
- Anticipated and strategically obtained “smoking gun” forged document, persuading defendants to settle plaintiff’s case for personal injuries for $1.5 million, overcoming strong affirmative defenses. (2015)
- Strategically reframed petitioner’s underinsured motorist arbitration arguments resulting in settlement in excess of previous handling attorney’s initial demand. (2015)
- Won record Illinois verdict for Plaintiff’s medial collateral ligament injury. (2015)