Areas of Practice
- Products Liability
- Toxic Tort
- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- Western Illinois University, B.A. in Communication, magna cum laude, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
Patrick W. Stufflebeam focuses his practice on trials involving complex business litigation matters, including:
- Toxic torts
- Premises liability
- Products liability
- Commercial litigation
He has represented clients in Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania.
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Board of Directors (since 2011)
- Madison County Bar Association
Awards, Honor & Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Illinois Leading Lawyers (2017-2018)
- Emerging Lawyer (2015-2016)
- Illinois Super sLawyer, Rising Star (2010-2016)
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Rising Star (2009)
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Student Bar Association
- President (2001-2002)
Published Legal Writing
- “Avoid the Pineapples!” Technology Law Column, IDC Quarterly, Vol. 26, No. 4 (2016).
- “What Does Your Electronic Communications Policy Say?” #VoluntaryUndertaking, IDC Defense Update, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Nov. 2014).
- “Survey of Tort Law Cases: Premises Liability Cases,” IDC 2013 Survey of Law.
- “The Internet Jurisdiction: Can Your Non-Resident Clients’ Online Contacts Expose Them to General Jurisdiction in Illinois?” IDC Defense Update, Vol. 13, No. 2 (April 2012).
- “A Brief Repose: The Illinois Construction Statute of Repose,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 4 (2006).
- The Missouri Bar, Sales and Use Taxes—Substantive Aspects, in Missouri Taxation Law and Practice (3rd ed. Supp. 2002).
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- Faculty, “Deposition Academy,” Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (Collinsville IL, 2015).
- “Oh Lord, Won’t You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz: Personal Jurisdiction Post-Daimler,” Texas Association of Defense Counsel Winter Seminar (Beaver Creek CO, 2015).
- “Take My Card: Ethical Considerations Governing Business Development,” IDC Succeeding as a Young Associate: Managing Cases, Building Your Brand, and Avoiding Ethical Pitfalls (Edwardsville IL, 2015).
- “Don’t Tell Me No Lies and Keep Your Tweets to Yourself: The Ethics of Social Media,” HeplerBroom University (Edwardsville IL, 2014).
- “Decisions in Illinois and Missouri: What’s New?” HarrisMartin Midwest Asbestos Litigation Conference (St. Louis MO, 2014).
For a complete listing of Legal Lectures & Presentations, click here.
- Amicus brief co-author accepted by Illinois Supreme Court in Folta v. Ferro Engineering regarding application of Illinois Workers' Compensation Statutes' exclusivity provisions in cases involving latent diseases (2015).
- Obtained order dismissing client for lack of personal jurisdiction on behalf of product manufacturer where the alleged exposure occurred in Illinois in an asbestos personal injury action pending in Madison County, Illinois. Voss v. Murco Wall Products Inc.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of premises owner in asbestos personal injury action. Stanley v. Ameren Illinois Company.
- Obtained order dismissing client for lack of personal jurisdiction on behalf of a premises owner in an asbestos personal injury action. Howard v. Ameren Illinois Company.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of premises owner in asbestos personal injury action. Coyne v. Central Illinois Light Company.