Justin K. Curtis
Justin K. Curtis is a litigation attorney who focuses his practice on complex civil litigation, insurance coverage, and bad faith litigation. He has obtained successful results for his clients and has extensive experience in the fields of insurance coverage/defense, employment law, toxic tort, school law, construction, personal injury, and professional liability.
Prior to joining HeplerBroom, Mr. Curtis practiced at a Northwest Indiana firm focusing on civil litigation and education law. His education law experience includes serving as the Examiner at expulsion proceedings for five years. He also served as a Judicial Extern for the Honorable Judge Rudy Lozano of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana.
- Valparaiso University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2009
- Ball State University, B. S. in Political Science with a concentration in Economics and a minor in Criminal Justice, 2006
LAW SCHOOL HONORS/INVOLVEMENT
- Honors Program Scholar
- Graduated in top 7% of class
- Class Honors (highest grade)
- Constitutional Law
- Business Associations
- Land Transfer and Finance
- Valparaiso University Law Review
- International Moot Court Society
- Executive Board
- Heritage Law Scholarship
- Herbert F. Stride Endowment
Admissions & Affiliations
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- Northern District of Illinois
- Northern District of Ohio
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Former Chair, Insurance Coverage Section
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Lake County (IN) Bar Association
Events & Speaking Engagements
- “Good Investigations, Good Faith: Harmonizing Diligent Medical Investigations with Ethical Responsibilities,” 6th Annual Midwest Medical Fraud Symposium (virtual, 2021). (Co-presenter)
- “Best Practices for Client Relationships,” panel moderator, 2020 Annual Conference of Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (virtual)
- “Understanding Types of Available Incident Data and Their Interconnectivity to Support Modern Litigation,” 2019 Annual Conference of Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (French Lick IN, 2019).
- “Bad Faith Update,” Indiana Chapter, International Association of Special Investigations Units (Greenwood IN 2017).
- “Misrepresentations on Applications for Insurance,” Chicago, Chicago-Northwest, and West Suburban Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter Chapter’s Insurance Law and Coverage Seminar (Oak Brook IL, 2017).
- “COVID-19 Business Interruption Litigation: Indiana Weighs In,” Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (April 28-May 11, 2021). (This article can be read here.)
- “Assignment of Claims for Recoverable Depreciation,” The Indiana Lawyer (December 9, 2020). (This article can be read here.)
- “Multidistrict Litigation and an Examination of Recent Attempts to Establish a Business Interruption MDL,” Indiana Civil Litigation Review (November 2020). (Co-author) (This article can be read here.)
- “Insurer’s Right to Limit Its Risk: Rescission of Insurance Policies Due to Material Misrepresentations of the Application for Insurance,” Indiana Civil Litigation Review (December 2019).
- “When Expert’s Testimony Should be Inadmissible,” The Indiana Lawyer (October 16, 2019). (Co-author) (This article can be read here.)
- “Including Victims Without a Voice: Amending Indiana’s Child Wrongful Death Statute” 43 Valparaiso University Law Review 1211 (Spring 2009).