- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 1982
- University of Notre Dame, B.A. in Government and International Studies, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S District Courts for the
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
Michael Reda has over 35 years of experience in tort litigation. He has tried scores of civil jury trials in state and federal courts in Illinois and Missouri representing insured and self-insured entities, including cases covering:
- Catastrophic trucking accidents and transportation litigation
- Aviation accidents
- Claims against municipal and state governments
- Contractor liability
- Construction litigation
- Civil rights actions
- Professional liability (doctors and health care providers, pharmacists, architects, engineers, attorneys, and other professionals)
He has appeared and argued cases before state and federal appellate courts, as well as the Illinois Supreme Court. He is also actively involved in alternative dispute resolution and has served as an arbitrator and mediator in many cases.
Professional Association Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of the Central and Southern Illinois Districts of the United States District Court
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Trucking Law Committee Member
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Madison County Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
Awards & Distinctions
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2003-2019)
Published Legal Writing
- “Avoiding the Potholes [and Pitfalls] with Last Mile Delivery,” Trucking Industry Defense Association Newsletter (Fall 2019). (Co-author with HeplerBroom associate Kelley Millaway) The full article can be read here.
- “Defense Tactics to Refute Emerging Attempts to Impose a Higher Standard of Care on Commercial Truck Driver,” Trucking Industry Defense Association Newsletter (December 2017). The full article can be read here.
- “Plaintiff Posted What? Ensuring That Social Media Diamonds are Admissible by Addressing the Foundational Requirements for Social Media Evidence," In Transit,Defense Research Institute Trucking Law Committee’s Newsletter (October 2016). (Co-author) The full article can be read here.
- “The Bridge to Broker Liability,” In Transit, Defense Research Institute Trucking Law Committee’s Newsletter (March 2015). (Co-author) The full article can be read here.
- “Wait, I Didn’t Sign that Contract…” How You May Find Yourself Bound to Someone Else’s Forum-Selection Clause,” HeplerBroom Blog (January 8, 2015). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Defense Tactics to Refute Emerging Attempts to Impose a Higher Standard of Care on Commercial Truck Driver,” Defense Research Institute Annual Meeting (Chicago IL, 2018)
- “Rapid Response Teams and On-site Investigations: The Front Line of Defense,” American Conference Institute’s 5th National Forum on Defending and Managing Trucking Litigation (Chicago, 2015)