Area of Practice
- Insurance Law
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1988
- The American College, Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU), 1980
- Southern Illinois University, B.A., 1975
- U.S. District Court for the
- Northern and Southern Districts of Illinois
- Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- Southern District of Michigan
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Eastern District of Missouri
Rick Hammond focuses his practice in the area of insurance law. He serves as national counsel on matters relating to:
- Property insurance coverage
- Defense of municipalities, elected officials, and corporate executives in high profile business and municipal litigation cases
- Fire and explosion cases
- Bad faith defense
Mr. Hammond also serves as an Adjunct Professor on Insurance Law for the John Marshall Law School, and as an expert witness on insurer bad faith and insurance law and coverage issues.
Prior to joining HeplerBroom in 2016, he practiced with a regional full-service defense firm, where he represented both corporate and municipal clients in insurance coverage matters.
Before practicing law, Mr. Hammond was the Assistant Deputy Director of the Illinois Department of Insurance’s Chicago office. He also served as Executive Director of the Insurance Committee for Arson Control (ICAC), a national insurance trade association.
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois State Representative
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Chair, Property Insurance Coverage Section
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Insurance School of Chicago
- Board of Directors
- International Association of Special Investigation Units
- Columnist, SIU Today magazine
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- American College of Coverage and Extra-Contractual Counsel inductee
- DRI Exceptional Performance Citation (2009-2010)
- “Insurance Lawyer of the Year,” by Lexis Nexis Insurance Law Center (2008)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2013-2018)
- Top Illinois Super Lawyer – Insurance Coverage (2008)
Published Legal Writing
Mr. Hammond has published nationwide for numerous legal, professional, corporate, and trade groups in the areas of insurance coverage, bad faith, and the defense of tort and municipal lawsuits.
- SIU Today (quarterly magazine of International Association of Special Investigation Units)
For a complete list of SIU Today columns, see attached.
Legal Lectures& Presentations
Mr. Hammond has lectured and published nationwide for numerous legal, professional, corporate and trade groups in the areas of insurance coverage, bad faith and the defense of tort and municipal lawsuits.