Areas of Practice
- Insurance Law
- The John Marshall Law School, n/k/a UIC John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1994
- University of Chicago, B.A. in Political Science, 1990
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
Gordon K. Walton focuses his practice on all aspects of insurance law, from coverage opinions through trial. He has over two decades of experience in a wide range of complex matters arising under policies for:
- general liability
- pollution legal liability
- professional liability
- excess liability
- umbrella liability
He is proactive in providing exceptional legal advice and representation to insurance companies throughout the world, focusing on preventing claims from arising where possible and effectively and efficiently resolving coverage disputes that do arise. When trial is unavoidable, he has a strong record of securing excellent results for his clients in numerous state and federal courts. (See Recent/Representative Case Results.) Gordon Walton knows how to convert his clients’ valuable rights under contracts of insurance into effective legal remedies, always with an eye to conserving clients’ resources.
In addition to his extensive experience in litigation and alternative dispute resolution, Mr. Walton offers strategic advice to local and national clients on insurance matters, including:
- Risk analysis and management
- reviews policy language to minimize potential risk of litigation exposure
- develops risk management protocols
- assesses vulnerability to future liability and costs of emerging risks
- Claims counseling and coordination
- investigates and manages current claims
- devises efficient and effective claims defense systems
- negotiates claims-handling agreements
- American Bar Association
- American Inn of Court
- Chicago Black Partners Alliance
- Chicago Inn of Court
- Cook County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Lawyers of Color
- Nation's Best (inaugural list, 2019)
- Who’s Who in Black Chicago
- Past member, The John Marshall Law School Alumni Association Board
Representative/Recent Case Results
- New Mexico Construction Defect Claims Case - Served as coverage counsel in a declaratory judgment action against a developer in New Mexico state court regarding alleged construction defects in more than 120 homes in three subdivisions.
- Construction Defect Claims Case in North Carolina Federal Court - Served as coverage counsel in a declaratory judgment action against a subcontractor in North Carolina federal court regarding defective windows and sliding glass doors in a condominium development.
- USVI “Permissive User” Coverage Case in Federal Court - Served as coverage counsel in declaratory judgment actions in Virgin Islands federal court involving the “permissive user” coverage issue under business package policies.
- Illinois Asbestos Exclusions Insurance Case - Served as coverage counsel in a declaratory judgment action against named insured, a HVAC supplier, in Illinois state court regarding the application of client’s asbestos exclusions.
- Coverage Counsel in Declaratory Judgment Action in Missouri Federal Court - Served as coverage counsel in a declaratory judgment action against a property owner in Missouri federal court regarding damage and vandalism to a church closed due to foreclosure. After several years of contentious litigation, negotiated a very favorable settlement for client on the eve of trial.
For a complete list of Recent/Representative Case Results, click here.