Tammera E. Banasek focuses her practice on the litigation of professional and general liability cases, with an emphasis on the defense of complex medical, dental, and nursing home issues. She regularly speaks and publishes in the areas of medical and dental malpractice, including in claims, risk, and employment matters impacting health professionals. She has tried numerous cases to successful verdict and handled several cases through appeal.
Before joining HeplerBroom, Ms. Banasek was a senior associate with the Chicago firm of Hay & Oldenburg LLC (formerly known as Alholm, Monahan, Klauke, Hay & Oldenburg, LLC). Prior to becoming an attorney, Ms. Banasek had eight years of experience as a senior litigation paralegal.
- The John Marshall Law School, n/k/a UIC John Marshall Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1993
- Northern Illinois University, B.A. in Communication Studies, 1985
LAW SCHOOL HONORS/INVOLVEMENT
- Moot Court Team
Admissions & Affiliations
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society
- Board of Directors (2022-present)
- Defense Research Institute
- Senior Living and Long-Term Care Planning Committee (2019-present)
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
- Obtained defense verdict in a two-week Cook County medical malpractice trial. Plaintiff had asked for $9.8 million.
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent® Rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Trial Lawyer Excellence 2012 Award, Jury Verdict Reporter
- Outstanding Defense Verdict – Dental Malpractice (2012)
- | Giving Back
Events & Speaking Engagements
- “Sexual Harassment and Implicit Bias,” Armitage Oral Surgery (Chicago IL, 2023). (Co-presenter)
- “Staffing Shortages: A Panel Discussion on the Challenges, Trends, Solutions and Impact on Litigation,” Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Managers Society (Chicago IL, 2023). (Co-presenter)
- “Time for Good Behavior! Creating a Culture Free from Sexual Harassment,” Chicago Dental Society-Midwinter Conference (Chicago IL, 2022).
- “The COVID Wound: Clinical Insights,” DRI Senior Living and Long-Term Care Litigation Seminar (Las Vegas NV, 2021). (Co-presenter)
- “Litigation Claims and Risk Review: An Attorney Perspective,” Ascension Healthcare webinar (2021).
- “COVID Wound – Not Your Facility Acquired Injury,” Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society webinar (2021). (Co-presenter)
- “Defending Your License: Strategies for Nursing Professionals,” Ascension Living Lunch and Learn webinar (2021). (Co-presenter)
- “Depositions: The Good, Bad, and Ugly,” Ascension Living Lunch and Learn webinar (2021). (Co-presenter)
- “How [Documentation] Best Practices Impact Litigation,” Ascension Living Lunch and Learn webinar (2021). (Co‑presenter)
- Continuing education seminar on sexual harassment prevention in the dental practice, webinar presented for Armitage Oral Surgery (AOS) (May 2020).
- “Forecasting Medical Liability Claims in the Age of COVID-19: How to Mitigate Risk and Reduce Payouts from Potential Negligence Claims,” Medical Liability Monitor Webinar (June 24, 2020).
- “Standards in Preventative Skin Care and Legal Trends in Wound Care Litigation,” CHRMS Webinar (Chicago IL, 2019).
- “Social Media and the Impact on Claims,” Illinois MGMA/ICAHN/ Southern IL HFMA Physician Management Summit (O’Fallon IL, 2019).
- “Social Media and the Internet,” HB CPCU Joint Seminar (Chicago IL, 2018).
- “Running from the Law,” Infinity Healthcare Management, Saint Bernard Hospital Nursing Documentation seminars (Chicago IL, 2016-2018).
- “Write is Might,” Infinity Healthcare Management, Saint Bernard Hospital Nursing Documentation seminars (Chicago IL, 2016-2018).
- “Providing Testimony and the Duty to Warn,” Saint Joseph Medical Center (Chicago IL, 2006).
- “Running from Risk: Behavioral Health Concerns,” Westlake Medical Center (Maywood IL, 2006).
- “Informed Consent: Understanding the Risks,” Holy Family Medical Center staff (Des Plaines IL, 2005).
- | Blog
- | Blog
- | Blog
- “The Thing Speaks for Itself and to the Standard of Care,” IDC Quarterly Vol 32 No. 4 (2022).
- “Risk Considerations in Evaluating Wounds in the COVID-19 Era,” Illinois Society of Healthcare Risk Management Quarterly, Fall/Winter 2022 No. 4.
- “Genetic Testing, Physical Examinations and the Future of Supreme Court Rule 215,” IDC Quarterly, Vol 31, No. 4 (2021).
- “Thomas v. Khoury: Has the Illinois Appellate Court Expanded the Cause of Action and Damages for the Death of a Fetus,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 30, No. 4 (2020). (Co-author)
- “Going for Broke: The Impact of Bankruptcy in Litigation,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 4 (2019). (Co-author).
- “Until Death Do Us Part … The Impact of a Plaintiff’s Death During Litigation,” IDC Quarterly, Vol 28, No. 3 (2018). (Co-author)
- “How to be Thankful When Settling a Wrongful Death Claim,” Medical Malpractice Update, IDC Quarterly, Vol. 27, No.1 (2017). (Co-author)
- “Failure to Diagnose and Delayed Diagnosis of Cancer: Medicolegal Issues,” The Journal of the American Dental Association (2009). (Co-author)
- Regular columnist, “Legalities,” Woman Dentist Journal (2006 to 2009).