Sean P. Sheehan
Sean P. Sheehan focuses his practice on trials involving complex litigation matters, including toxic torts, personal injury, wrongful death, and asbestos products, premises, supplier, distributor, contractor, and employer liability. He routinely represents clients in Madison, St. Clair, Cook, and outlying counties in Illinois; the City of St. Louis, Jackson, and outlying counties in Missouri; and various other courts throughout the country. He also counsels on issues involving compliance with Medicare Secondary Payer reimbursement and reporting obligations.
Mr. Sheehan holds dual citizenship in the U.S.A. and Ireland.
- St. Louis University, J.D., cum laude, 1994
- St. Louis University, M.B.A., 1988
- St. Louis University, B.S.B.A. in Finance, cum laude, 1984
LAW SCHOOL HONORS/INVOLVEMENT
- International Law Society
- James S. McDonnell Scholar
Admissions & Affiliations
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- The Missouri Bar
Other Professional/Civic Involvement
- Pro bono legal assistance, Madison County Legal Self-Help Center
- Interviewer, St. Louis University Scholarship Committees
- Presidential Scholarship
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship
- Society of St. Vincent De Paul (St. Louis, Missouri)
- South County Toastmasters and Toastmasters International
- | Giving Back
Events & Speaking Engagements
- “Ethical Considerations of Medicare Secondary Payer,” HarrisMartin Midwest Asbestos Litigation Conference (St. Louis MO, 2022). (Co-Presenter)
- “Mental Health and Substance Abuse in the Legal Field,” HeplerBroom University, Edwardsville, Illinois (2020, 2018)
- “Medicare Reporting and Reimbursement Obligations,” HeplerBroom University (Edwardsville IL, 2022, 2019).
- “Settling the Asbestos Claim,” Asbestos and Mesothelioma Claims Litigation webinar, National Business Institute (2018). (Co-Presenter)
- "Settlement Documents: Who Should Sign," HeplerBroom University, Edwardsville, Illinois (2017, 2015)
- "Medicare Reporting Under MMSEA§111: Why, Who, When, How, What," HeplerBroom University, Edwardsville, Illinois (2012)
- | Blog
- | Blog
- | Blog
- | Blog
- | Blog
- “The PAID Act: Providing Much Needed Information to Resolve Injury Claims Brought by Medicare Beneficiaries,” Southern Illinois University Law Journal (Vol. 46 No. 2, Winter 2022). (Co-author) (This article can be read here.)
- “Recent Rulings Impact Analysis of Specific Personal Jurisdiction in Madison County, Illinois Asbestos Cases,” Midwest Toxic Release, Vol. 21 No. 1 (2021).
- “MAP Can Bring Secondary Payer Private Cause of Action,” CLM Magazine (December 2018). (This article can be read here.)
- “Madison County and Cook County Trial Courts Disagree on the Interpretation of Illinois' Corporate Dissolution Statute in Asbestos Cases," Midwest Toxic Release, Vol. 18 No. 3 (2018). (This article can be read here.)
- “Developments and Considerations Affecting Resolution of Claims with Plaintiffs Enrolled in Medicare Part C or Part D,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 28, No. 2 (2018). (This article can be read here.)
- “Settlements Reached Before October 1, 2010 May be Reportable Under MMSEA §111 Requirements,” Midwest Toxic Release, Issue 24 (2010).
- “Medicare Announces Streamlined Procedures for MMSEA §111 Reporting,” Midwest Toxic Release, Issue 23 (2010).
- “Madison County Enters Medicare Reporting Order,” Midwest Toxic Release, Issue 21 (2010).
- “Medicare Sues Defendants, Insurers and Plaintiff’s Attorneys for Reimbursement”, Midwest Toxic Release, Issue 18 (2010).
- “Regulation of Transfrontier Shipment of Hazardous Waste,” St. Louis University International Law Monitor (1993)