Thomas H. Wilson is a trial attorney with a primary emphasis in the defense of:
- medical malpractice cases on behalf of physicians, hospitals, EMS, and other health care providers
- employers and government officers/employees in employment and civil rights claims
- trustees, executors, and beneficiaries in trust and probate litigation
He also has experience defending a wide variety of industry leaders and businesses in general tort claims.
Mr. Wilson has tried numerous jury and non-jury cases to verdict in both the state and federal courts of Illinois.
- Southern Illinois University, J.D., summa cum laude, 1989
- Gannon University (Erie PA), B.A. in Criminal Justice, magna cum laude, 1986
LAW SCHOOL HONORS/INVOLVEMENT
- Law Journal
- Editor in Chief
Admissions & Affiliations
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the
- 7th Circuit
- Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Central District of Illinois
- Southern District of Illinois
- Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- Central District of Illinois
- Committee on Local Rules
- Illinois Supreme Court Special E-Business Committee
- Lincoln Douglas Inn of Court
- Sangamon County (Illinois) Bar Association
Other Professional/Civic Involvement
- Lieutenant-Paramedic, Chatham Fire Department (Retired)
- Secured a verdict in favor of client on varying claims of negligence with respect to a gas explosion that occurred on November 16, 2016, in Canton, Illinois, when a third-party contractor hired by a co-defendant struck an underground gas line. [Eiselt v. Cahill, et al., Fulton County, Illinois, Case No. 17-LL-0009 (April 29, 2022)]
- Successfully argued Motion to Decertify gender discrimination case before the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois. Case involved a collective action against a medical school.
- Secured defense verdict for clients in a medical malpractice action brought against an emergency room physician and his employer. [Furgeson, et al. v. Mulshine, et al., Christian County, Illinois, Case No. 14-L-26 (August 23, 2017)]
- Secured judgment in favor of clients on claims of common law fraud and violations of the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act. [Moore Living Trust, et al. v. Vocke, McLean County, Illinois, (February 25, 2016)]
- Secured defense verdict for clients alleged to have violated the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. [Stevens v. Board of Trustees of Southern Illinois University, et al., U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, Federal Ct. No. 11-CV-126-DRH (February 8, 2014)]
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent® Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2006-2023)
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2007-2017)
Events & Speaking Engagements
As a retired volunteer firefighter and paramedic, Mr. Wilson continues to speak to many hospital, emergency medicine, fire department, and EMS providers on topics related to legal issues affecting Fire and EMS services. A few of his recent presentations include:
- “Ambulance Offload Times,” Memorial Medical Center (Springfield IL, 2022).
- “Estate Planning Seminar,” Memorial Center for Learning and Innovation (Springfield IL, 2021).
- “EMS Documentation and Harassment Prevention,” Memorial Medical Center (Springfield IL, 2019).
- “Legal Considerations for Medical Providers,” Mid-America Emergency Symposium (Springfield IL, 2019).
- “Navigating Mental Health & Substance Abuse in the Legal Profession,” Southern Illinois University (Springfield IL, 2018).
- “Legal Issues for EMS Providers,” Memorial Medical Center Annual Conference (Springfield IL, 2017).