Crystal Lake, IL
Areas of Practice
- Corporate & Business
- John Marshall Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1993
- University of Illinois, B.S. in Mathematics, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Aleen R. Tiffany focuses her practice in complex civil litigation and corporate construction matters, including:
- Construction injury and defect litigation
- Construction contract and risk transfer
- Complex civil and commercial litigation
- Commercial general liability coverage and risk transfer focus
- Mechanics’ Lien and Surety Bond claims and litigation
An experienced trial attorney, she has successfully litigated and overseen a wide variety of matters nationwide. Her experience includes all aspects of the commercial construction industry, with a primary focus on commercial contracts, bodily injury defense, construction defect, and risk management and transfer. She serves as outside general counsel for a large multi-state commercial construction company and as National Coordinating and Oversight Counsel for general liability claims for subsidiaries of a Fortune 500 company.
Ms. Tiffany is also a trained and approved arbitrator in the 19th and 22nd Judicial Circuit Mandatory Court-annexed Arbitration programs.
She was formerly the principal of Aleen R. Tiffany, PC. That firm merged into HeplerBroom in 2016.
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- President (2013-2014)
- Executive Committee (2009-2014)
- Legislative Committee (2011-2012)
- Chair, Basic Skills Courses (2006-2007)
- Trial Academy (2004-2005, 2008-2009)
- Chair, Fall Seminar (2004-2005)
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2016-2018)
- Profiled in Leading Lawyers Magazine-Real Estate Edition: “McHenry County Construction Lawyer Devotes Curiosity, Enthusiasm to Clients” (2017)
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2008, 2016-2018)
- Past Member
- American Subcontractors Association
- Associated General Contractors of America
- Chicago Bar Association
- Mechanic Liens Subcommittee
- National Association of Women in Construction
- Northern Illinois Building Contractors Association
Published Legal Writing
“Illinois Enacts Anti-Indemnity Legislation in Snow and Ice Removal Contracts,” National Society of Professional Insurance Investigators, NSPII News (Fall 2016). (Co-author)
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Restatement 414 Exception Regarding Contractor's Liability: Updates and Practical (litigation) Application,” Construction Worker Injuries: Responding to the Risk, Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (Chicago, 2018).
- “General Liability Insurance Coverage, Tenders, and Risk Transfer 201,” Fortune 500 company litigation attorneys (Philadelphia PA, 2017)
- “Construction Liability: Risk Transfer, GL, and Contracts, Multi-State,” Risk Managers, Safety, Contracts, and Procurement teams for national utility construction client (2017)
- “General Liability Insurance Coverage, Tenders, and Risk Transfer 101,” Fortune 500 company litigation attorneys (Philadelphia PA, 2016)
- “Top 10 Construction Contract & GL Insurance Issues Every Illinois Lawyer Should Know for Effective Risk Management,” Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (IDC) Spring Symposium (Chicago IL, 2014)
- “Top 10 Construction Contract & GL Insurance Issues Every Illinois Lawyer Should Know,” Joint IDC-Texas Association of Defense Counsel Winter Seminar (Crested Butte CO, 2014)
For a complete listing of Legal Lectures & Presentations, click here.
Representative/Recent Case Results
Ms. Tiffany has successfully litigated hundreds of construction and construction-related matters as lead trial counsel over the years, including:
- Achieved dismissal through summary judgement on behalf of an electrical subcontractor in a multi-party $90M property damage claim resulting from alleged electrical and design failures (pro hac vice admission, Indiana, 2016-2017).
- Successful defense and resolution of an $18M water-intrusion claim, alleged to have resulted from plumbing work/failure (resolved 2016 for $650,000)
- Successful defense and resolution of a fire loss claim in Northern California on behalf of nationally based electrical utility contractor (pro hac vice admission, 2015)
- Successful defense of an electrical subcontractor in a respondeat superior/agency claim involving business-altering issues, including whether scope of work was implicated through company-issued cell phones and “on call” system involving union employees (Will County, 2013 – Not Guilty)
- Numerous other successful defense results and jury trial verdicts over 23 years in construction, automobile, and premises liability matters, involving varying injury and damages ranging from minor to catastrophic/death claims.