- The John Marshall Law School, n/k/a UIC John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1986
- University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, B.A. in Economics, 1982
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Federal Trial Bar for the
- Northern District of Illinois
- Central District of Illinois
Linda J. Hay focuses her practice on the defense of all types of professionals, including individual healthcare practitioners such as physicians, dentists, and nurses, as well as lawyers. Ms. Hay also defends institutions such as hospitals, healthcare systems and facilities, and clinics and group practices when they are charged with negligence and related claims. She has tried numerous cases to successful verdict and handled many cases through successful appeal.
Before joining HeplerBroom, Ms. Hay was an equity partner in the Chicago firm of Hay & Oldenburg LLC (formerly known as Alholm, Monahan, Klauke, Hay & Oldenburg, LLC). Previously, she was Assistant Attorney General for the State of Illinois Civil Appeals Division and handled appeals involving state agencies. She also served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable William R. Quinlan of the First District of the Appellate Court of Illinois and for the Honorable Thomas E. Hoffman of the Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division, Motion Call.
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Chair, Webinar Committee (2019-2020)
- Editor, The Association Press (2010-2015)
- Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Editor, IDC 2017 Survey of Law (2018)
- Board of Directors (2005-2009)
- Co-Chair, Diversity Committee (2007-2009)
- Editor-in-Chief, IDC Quarterly (2005-2006)
- Chair, Medical Liability Committee (2000-2002)
- Professional Liability Committee
- Editorial Staff, IDC Quarterly (2002-2005)
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
- Medical Professional Liability Association (formerly PIAA)
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Illinois Leading Lawyers (2013-2020)
- Illinois Super Lawyers (2005-2014, 2016-2021)
- Top 50 Female Lawyers in Illinois (2005-2009)
- Distinguished Member Award, Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (2016)
- President's Commendation, Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (2009)
- Chicago Women in Law, Chicago Lawyer (2002)
- Defense Star Award, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons National Insurance Company, (2002)
- Golden Gavel Designee, National Association of Insurance Women (2002)
- Maggie O’Toole Mentors and Protégées Award, National Association of Insurance Women (1999)
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Moot Court
Published Legal Writing
- Contributing author, Professional Solutions’ Physician Connection (2014 to present).
- Case study columnist, Professional Solutions’ Dental Insights (2008 to present).
- “Beware of Potential MPL Verdict Appeals,” Inside Medical Liability (Second Quarter 2020). (Co-author) (This article can be read here.)
- “Discrimination in the Medical Profession—Unfortunately, It’s a Two-Way Street,” Physician Connection, Issue 4 (Dec. 15, 2018). (Co-author)
- Editorial Board, “The Chemically Impaired Lawyer,” Minnesota Lawyers Mutual Practice Management Booklet Series (2018).
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Calibrate Your Risk Radar,” Chicago Dental Society (Chicago IL, 2021).
- “Overview of the Litigation Process in a Dental Practice,” webinar sponsored by Collier & Associates (2021).
- “Post COVID Dental Malpractice Litigation Trends and Predictions,” Medical Professional Liability Association’s 2021 Dental Virtual Workshop (2021).
- “Dress Rehearsal: Preparations Beyond the Law and Evidence,” Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, Webinar (2019).
- “Social Media and the Internet: The Impact on Claims,” Insurance Law and Coverage Seminar (Oak Brook IL, 2018).
- DuPage County, February 2018. Secured complete defense verdict for client, general dentist. A 19-year-old plaintiff sustained permanent bilateral lingual nerve injury after extraction of wisdom teeth. Asked for $900,000 at close of jury trial. Verdict for defendant.
- Cook County, January 2018. Secured complete defense victory for client, a periodontist. Plaintiff alleged dental implant was placed too close to inferior alveolar nerve in lower right jaw and caused permanent pain and numbness to lip and chin. Plaintiff asked for $2.3 million in damages. Verdict for Defendant.
- Cook County, June 2017. Dental malpractice case alleging failure to properly prepare cosmetic restorations. (Concomitant collection action by dentist against patient for unpaid fees.) Plaintiff asked jury for $130,000. Verdict for Plaintiff $9,725 on malpractice action. Verdict in favor of patient on collection action.
- Cook County, May-June 2017. Medical malpractice case alleging failure to diagnose and refer resulting in death from pulmonary embolism of a 54-year-old man. Plaintiff asked jury for $17 million. Verdict for Defendants.
- Cook County, May 2017. Dental malpractice case alleging failure to properly perform and follow up after third molar extractions. Following procedure, diabetic Plaintiff developed necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating disease) in neck and chest. Plaintiff asked jury for $2.7 million. Verdict for Defendants.