Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home
- Professional Liability
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1986
- University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, B.A. in Economics, 1982
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Federal Trial Bar
- Northern District of Illinois
Linda J. Hay focuses her practice on the defense of all types of professionals, including individual healthcare practitioners such as physicians, dentists, and nurses, as well as lawyers. Ms. Hay also defends institutions such as hospitals, healthcare systems and facilities, and clinics and group practices when they are charged with negligence and related claims. She has tried numerous cases to successful verdict and handled many cases through successful appeal.
Before joining HeplerBroom, Ms. Hay was an equity partner in the Chicago firm of Hay & Oldenburg LLC (formerly known as Alholm, Monahan, Klauke, Hay & Oldenburg, LLC). Previously, she was Assistant Attorney General for the State of Illinois Civil Appeals Division and handled appeals involving state agencies. She also served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable William R. Quinlan of the First District of the Appellate Court of Illinois and for the Honorable Thomas E. Hoffman of the Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division, Motion Call.
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Editor, The Association Press (2010-2015)
- Chicago Association of Insurance Women (1999-2004)
- President (2000-2001)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Judicial Evaluation Committee, Hearings and Investigations Division (2003-2005)
- Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Board of Directors (2005-2009)
- Co-Chair, Diversity Committee (2007-2009)
- Editor-in-Chief, IDC Quarterly (2005-2006)
- Chair, Medical Liability Committee (2000-2002)
- Professional Liability Committee
- Editorial Staff, IDC Quarterly (2002-2005)
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
- Illinois State Bar Association
- National Association of Insurance Women (1999-2004)
- Minnesota Lawyers Mutual
- Practice Management Booklet Series Editorial Board
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2013-2017)
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2005-2014, 2016-2017)
- Top 50 Female Lawyers in Illinois (2005-2009)
- Distinguished Member Award, Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (2016)
- President's Commendation, Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (2009)
- Chicago Women in Law, Chicago Lawyer (2002)
- Defense Star Award, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons National Insurance Company, (2002)
- Golden Gavel Designee, National Association of Insurance Women (2002)
- Maggie O’Toole Mentors and Protégées Award, National Association of Insurance Women (1999)
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Moot Court
Published Legal Writing
- Contributing author, Professional Solutions’ Physician Connection (2014 to present)
- Case study columnist, Professional Solutions’ Dental Insights (2008 to present)
- “Web Reputation: Setting a Patient’s Expectations,” OMS Guardian (Co-author) (2016)
- Co-author, “Web Reputation: Setting a Patient’s Expectations,” DMS Guardian (2016)
- Editorial Board, “Successful Management and Collection of Fees,” Minnesota Lawyers Mutual Practice Management Booklet Series (2013)
- “Non-Party Treating Physicians: Protection of Patient Confidentiality,” PIAA Quarterly (Co-author) (2013)
For a listing of Additional Published Legal Writing, see attached.
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Strategies for the Patient Relationship,” The Aspects of Dental Practice: A Series (Charleston SC, 2017)
- “Strategies for the Patient Relationship,” Dental Implant Mini Residency (Atlanta GA, 2017)
- “Social Media in the Professional Liability Arena,” Insurance Law and Coverage Seminar (Oak Brook IL, 2017)
- “Caution + Control: Reducing Employment Liability,” Chicago Dental Society Midwinter Meeting (Chicago IL, 2017)]
- “Social Media and the Internet: The Impact on Professional Liability Claims,” Willis Towers Watson/Argentum Senior Living Conference, Chicago IL (2016)
For a listing of Additional Legal Lectures & Presentations, see attached.
- Cook County, June 2017. Dental malpractice case alleging failure to properly prepare cosmetic restorations. (Concomitant collection action by dentist against patient for unpaid fees.) Plaintiff asked jury for $130,000. Verdict for Plaintiff $9,725 on malpractice action. Verdict in favor of patient on collection action.
- Cook County, May-June 2017. Medical malpractice case alleging failure to diagnose and refer resulting in death from pulmonary embolism of a 54-year-old man. Plaintiff asked jury for $17 million. Verdict for Defendants.
- Cook County, May 2017. Dental malpractice case alleging failure to properly perform and follow up after third molar extractions. Following procedure, diabetic Plaintiff developed necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating disease) in neck and chest. Plaintiff asked jury for $2.7 million. Verdict for Defendants.
- Cook County, November 2015. Dental malpractice case alleging failure to obtain informed consent prior to placing full-mouth restoration implants and a removable prosthesis. Verdict for Plaintiff $150,000.
- Will County, April 2014. Legal malpractice case alleging improper preparation of will and trust. Verdict in favor of the Plaintiff for $200,000. Policy limits offered in 2013, rejected. Later bench trial of Co-defendant in bifurcated case satisfied judgment against lawyer-defendant.
For a listing of Additional Representative/Recent Case Results, see attached.