Attorney of Counsel
- DePaul University, College of Law, 1984
- Eastern Illinois University, B.A. in Psychology, 1980
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the
- General Bar
- Trial Bar
- Northern District of Illinois
- Central District of Illinois
- Southern District of Illinois
Lance T. Jones is a trial attorney with a primary emphasis in litigation, including:
- Civil Rights
- Personal injury
- General tort liability
- Criminal lawsuits
He has tried numerous jury and non-jury cases to verdict in both the state and federal courts of Illinois and the federal District of New Jersey, and he’s argued before the Illinois Supreme Court, Illinois Appellate Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. He has also appeared in a number of Illinois administrative venues such as the Human Rights Commission, Pollution Control Board, Department of Transportation, and Illinois Commerce Commission.
Mr. Jones advises clients on government relations, regulatory, legislative, and litigation matters in the transportation, environmental, procurement, professional services, and labor and employment areas before units of state and local government.
Before joining HeplerBroom, he served as the Deputy Chief Counsel for the Illinois Department of Transportation, managing the in-house legal services and assisting in developing and administrating policy with respect to delivering the Transportation program for the State of Illinois, including the Division of Highways, Division of Aeronautics, Division of Public and Intermodal Transit, Division of Traffic Safety, Office of Business and Workforce Diversity, Office of Planning and Programming, Office of Finance and Administration, Office of Legislative Affairs, and Office of the Secretary. As Deputy Chief Counsel, Mr. Jones supervised the provision of legal services for construction; consultant services and general procurement; environmental compliance; oversight of rail, aero, and transit grant and procurement issues; labor and employment; workforce/contracting diversity; legislation; administrative rules; and an array of other legal issues.
Prior to working for the Department of Transportation, Mr. Jones served as Deputy General Counsel, Office of General Counsel, Department of Human Services, Division of Human Capital Development and Department Policy, providing legal services to the Division on an array of social services programs. He also served in the Office of Attorney General of Illinois as the Executive Director of the Asbestos Abatement Authority, Division Chief of Asbestos Litigation, and Assistant Attorney General in the Division of General Law. Prior to joining the Illinois Attorney General, he served on the Illinois Senate Democratic staff.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Lincoln Douglas Inn of Court
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- BV Distinguished® Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Department of Transportation’s Award of Merit for Professional Excellence (2012)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers (2014-2022)
Published Legal Writing
- “Judge Made Protected Class Under Title VII Loosens Separation of Powers Doctrine,” The IDC Monograph, IDC Quarterly, Vol. 28 No. 3. (c-author) (This article can be read here.)
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Employment Laws and Their Relationship to Employment Practice Liability Insurance,” 2021 Annual Convention of the Independent Insurance Agents of Illinois (Springfield IL, 2021). (co-presenter)
- “Employment Law,” 2019 Annual Convention of the Independent Insurance Agents of Illinois (Springfield IL, 2019). (co-presenter)
- “Buying, Selling and Perpetuating Insurance Agencies,” Independent Insurance Agents of Illinois (Springfield IL, 2019). (co‑presenter)
- “Employment Law Update,” Central Illinois Chapter of the Society for Human Resources Management (2017).
- “State and Local Employment Laws Update,” National Business Institute (2017).