- University of Missouri, Columbia, J.D., 1989
- University of Missouri, Columbia, B.S. in Business Administration/Administrative Management, 1984
- United States Courts of Appeals for the
- 7th and 8th Circuits
- United States District Courts for the
- Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of Illinois
George A. Kiser focuses his practice on trials involving toxic tort litigation, including asbestos and silica cases. He handles asbestos cases pending in Madison and Cook Counties in Illinois, St. Louis, Missouri, and outlying Illinois counties. He has coordinated and negotiated settlement of asbestos cases, prepared and argued trial motions, and acted as trial counsel in asbestos trials, as well as having oversight and management responsibility for hundreds of asbestos cases.
Before entering private practice, Kiser did a two-year judicial law clerkship for the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Eastern District of Missouri. He has represented clients throughout Illinois and Missouri and has tried 29 cases to jury verdict in Missouri and Illinois. He has handled automobile personal injury defense litigation cases, insurance coverage defense litigation cases, contract defense litigation, administrative proceedings, criminal defense, and municipal contract negotiations and oversight. He has also has argued cases before the Missouri and Illinois Courts of Appeals, the Missouri Supreme Court, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Eighth Circuits.
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois Bar Association
- Madison County (Illinois) Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® attorneys by Martindale-Hubbell
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2016-2020)
- Montclair’s Who’s Who in North America
- Lifetime Member
Law School Honors/Involvement
- The Journal of Dispute Resolution
- Note and Comment Editor
- University of Missouri ATLA Trial Competition and Regional Finals (Cleveland OH, 1989)
Published Legal Writing
- Smoke Signals: The Eleven Unwritten Rules of Negotiation. Dogear Publishing (2015).
- “Forum Non Conveniens: It’s Not About Convenience Anymore, Or Is It?” IDC Defense Update, Vol. 13, No. 2 (April 2012).
- “Take the Fifth in a Civil Case and Live to Tell the Tale; Yes You Can!” IDC Tort Law Committee Newsletter, Vol. 12 No. 16 (Nov. 2011).
- "Don't Let Your Employees Take Work Home with Them; It May Save You a Lawsuit Some Day," IDC Quarterly, Vol. 21, No. 1 (First Quarter 2011). (This article can be read here.)
- “Wrongful Adoption: New Application for an Old Tort,” The Young Lawyer Connection, DRI Defense Research Institute (Spring 1999).
HeplerBroom Blog Posts
- “Three Strategies For Successfully Resolving Your Case,” December 14, 2018. (This blog post can be read here.)
- “U.S. Supreme Court Addresses When a State Can Assert General Jurisdiction of Foreign Corporations,” February 7, 2014. (This blog post can be read here.)
- “What You Need to Know: Tips and Strategies to Successfully Handle Depositions,” Know CLE presentation (2021). (Co-presenter)
- “Implementing Practical and Ethical Settlement Strategies,” ACI Toxic Tort and Environmental Litigation Conference (Chicago IL, 2017).
- “Smoke Signals: Negotiation Tactics for Lawyers,” Perrin Conferences Webinar (2016).
- “George Kiser’s News and Views,” HarrisMartin Midwest Asbestos Litigation Conference (St. Louis MO, 2016).
- “Motion Practice in Madison County, Illinois,” HarrisMartin Midwest Asbestos Litigation Conference (St. Louis MO, 2014).
- “Deposition Practice,” HarrisMartin Midwest Asbestos Litigation Conference (St. Louis MO, 2013).
- “Madison County, Illinois, Docket Procedures and Mediation,” HarrisMartin Midwest Asbestos Litigation Conference (St. Louis MO, 2012).
- “The Missouri Appellate Practice,” and “Insurance Defense/Coverage Litigation,” Missouri Continuing Legal Education Courses. (1999).
Representative/Recent Case Results
- 29 jury trials to verdict (first chair)
- 3 trial counsel jury trial appearances (asbestos litigation)
- 2 federal court second chair criminal jury trials (one to verdict)
- 1 state court second chair criminal trial verdict
- Assisted in 1 post-conviction, state court death penalty appeal
- 2 municipal employee defense trials (first chair) and appeals to circuit court
- 1 successful appeal to the Missouri Supreme Court
- 2 appeals to the U.S. Federal Court, Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- 2 appeals to the Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District
- 2 appeals to the Illinois Court of Appeals, Fifth District