- The John Marshall Law School, n/k/a UIC John Marshall Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1993
- Northern Illinois University, B.A. in Communication Studies, 1985
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Tammera E. Banasek focuses her practice on the litigation of professional and general liability cases, with an emphasis on the defense of complex medical, dental, and nursing home issues. She regularly speaks and publishes in the areas of medical and dental malpractice.
Before joining HeplerBroom, Ms. Banasek was a senior associate with the Chicago firm of Hay & Oldenburg LLC (formerly known as Alholm, Monahan, Klauke, Hay & Oldenburg, LLC). Prior to becoming an attorney, Ms. Banasek had eight years of experience as a senior litigation paralegal.
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® Rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Trial Lawyer Excellence 2012 Award, Jury Verdict Reporter
- Outstanding Defense Verdict – Dental Malpractice (2012)
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Moot Court Team
Published Legal Writing
- “Going for Broke: The Impact of Bankruptcy in Litigation,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 4 (2019). (Co-author with HeplerBroom associate Lauren F. Crissie). (This article can be read here.)
- “Until Death Do Us Part … The Impact of a Plaintiff’s Death During Litigation,” IDC Quarterly, Vol 28, No. 3 (2018). (Co-author) (This article can be read here.)
- “How to be Thankful When Settling a Wrongful Death Claim,” Medical Malpractice Update, IDC Quarterly, Vol. 27, No.1 (2017). (Co-author) (This article can be read here.)
- “Failure to Diagnose and Delayed Diagnosis of Cancer: Medicolegal Issues,” The Journal of the American Dental Association (2009). (Co-author with HB Partner Linda J. Hay)
- Regular columnist, “Legalities,” Woman Dentist Journal (2006 to 2009).
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “COVID Wound – Not Your Facility Acquired Injury,” Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society webinar (2021). (Co-presenter)
- “Nursing Licensing and Disciplinary Issues,” Ascension Living Lunch and Learn webinar (2021). (Co-presenter)
- “Depositions: The Good, Bad, and Ugly,” Ascension Living Lunch and Learn webinar (2021). (Co-presenter)
- “How [Documentation] Best Practices Impact Litigation,” Ascension Living Lunch and Learn webinar (2021). (Co-presenter)
- Continuing education seminar on sexual harassment prevention in the dental practice, webinar presented for Armitage Oral Surgery (AOS) (May 2020).
- “Forecasting Medical Liability Claims in the Age of COVID-19: How to Mitigate Risk and Reduce Payouts from Potential Negligence Claims,” Medical Liability Monitor Webinar (June 24, 2020)
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Obtained defense verdict in a two-week Cook County medical malpractice trial. Plaintiff had asked for $9.8 million.