- The John Marshall Law School, n/k/a UIC John Marshall Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1993
- Northern Illinois University, B.A. in Communication Studies, 1985
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Tammera E. Banasek focuses her practice on the litigation of professional and general liability cases, with an emphasis on the defense of complex medical, dental, and nursing home issues. She regularly speaks and publishes in the areas of medical and dental malpractice, including in claims, risk, and employment matters impacting health professionals.
Before joining HeplerBroom, Ms. Banasek was a senior associate with the Chicago firm of Hay & Oldenburg LLC (formerly known as Alholm, Monahan, Klauke, Hay & Oldenburg, LLC). Prior to becoming an attorney, Ms. Banasek had eight years of experience as a senior litigation paralegal.
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society
- Defense Research Institute
- Senior Living and Long-Term Care Planning Committee (2019-present)
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® Rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Trial Lawyer Excellence 2012 Award, Jury Verdict Reporter
- Outstanding Defense Verdict – Dental Malpractice (2012)
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Moot Court Team
Published Legal Writing
- “Genetic Testing, Physical Examinations and the Future of Supreme Court Rule 215,” IDC Quarterly, Vol 31, No. 4, (2021). (This article can be read here.)
- “Thomas v. Khoury: Has the Illinois Appellate Court Expanded the Cause of Action and Damages for the Death of a Fetus,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 30, No. 4, (2020). (Co-author with HeplerBroom associate LaDonna Boeckman) (This article can be read here.)
- “There’s No Place Like Home—Unless You Live Next Door: Venue and Forum in Litigation,” HeplerBroom Blog (December 13, 2021). (This article can be read here.)
- “Going for Broke: The Impact of Bankruptcy in Litigation,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 4 (2019). (Co-author with HeplerBroom associate Lauren F. Crissie). (This article can be read here.)
- “Until Death Do Us Part … The Impact of a Plaintiff’s Death During Litigation,” IDC Quarterly, Vol 28, No. 3 (2018). (Co-author) (This article can be read here.)
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Time for Good Behavior! Creating a Culture Free from Sexual Harassment,” Chicago Dental Society-Midwinter Conference (Chicago IL, 2022).
- “The COVID Wound: Clinical Insights,” DRI Senior Living and Long-Term Care Litigation Seminar (Las Vegas NV, 2021). (Co-presenter)
- “Litigation Claims and Risk Review: An Attorney Perspective,” Ascension Healthcare webinar (2021).
- “COVID Wound – Not Your Facility Acquired Injury,” Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society webinar (2021). (Co-presenter)
- “Defending Your License: Strategies for Nursing Professionals,” Ascension Living Lunch and Learn webinar (2021). (Co-presenter)
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Obtained defense verdict in a two-week Cook County medical malpractice trial. Plaintiff had asked for $9.8 million.