St. Louis, MO
Areas of Practice
- Class Action
- Employment & Labor Law
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Princeton University, B.A. in History, magna cum laude, 2003
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the
- 7th Circuit
- 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Southern District of Illinois
- District of Maryland
- District of Columbia
Charles N. Insler concentrates his practice on complex commercial litigation including antitrust and unfair competition litigation, appellate work, business torts, class action litigation, securities litigation, and cybersecurity. He also has experience representing clients in various insurance matters and has defended employers against discrimination claims. Mr. Insler represents a variety of clients in both state and federal courts.
Before joining HeplerBroom, Mr. Insler worked for a boutique firm in Baltimore, litigating class action securities fraud and fiduciary duty cases in state and federal courts around the country. Before that, he served as the law clerk to a Federal Magistrate Judge on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri and as a staff attorney for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Mr. Insler is an accomplished writer, and his works, both legal and non-legal, have appeared in both national and international publications.
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Communications Law
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- St. Louis County Bar Association
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Tulane Maritime Law Journal
- Managing Editor
- Highest Grade in Constitutional Law: Freedoms of Speech and Press
Published Legal Writing
- “Raging Zombies: Kill Nominalizations, Breathe Life Back into Briefs,” For the Defense (October 2017).
- “Crafting a Cybersecurity Policy: Defending Against Today’s Digital Threats,” In-House Defense Quarterly (Winter 2017).
- “Campbell-Ewald Fails to Rein in the ‘National Cash-Cow’ that is TCPA Litigation,” For the Business Suit (June 3, 2016).
- “Using Parallel Government Litigation as a Defense,” In-House Defense Quarterly (Spring 2016).
- “In (Partial) Defense of Internet Trolls: Advocating a Flexible Summary Judgment Standard before Unmasking Anonymous Commentators Accused of Defamation,” Communications Lawyer (Winter 2016).
- “Please Call Again: The State of TCPA Litigation After Campbell-Ewald,” IDC Quarterly (Second Quarter 2016).
- “Opening Lines,” Litigation, Volume 42, No.2 (Winter 2016).
- “Fighting the Square Footage Fight,” In-House Defense Quarterly (Winter 2016).
- “The French Competition Authority Sanctions an Anti-Competitive Agreement on Dairy Products Sold Under Retailers’ Private Labels,” e-Competitions Bulletin (November 2015).
- “Fighting the CAFA Fight in the Eighth Circuit,” The Voice, Volume 14, Issue 39 (Sept. 30, 2015).
- “The French Supreme Court Rejects Parent Company’s Authority and Revenue as Basis for Fines,” e-Competitions Bulletin (February 2014).
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “The Rise of Litigation Under Illinois’s Biometric Information Privacy Act,” HeplerBroom Employment Law Seminar (November 2017)
- “Crafting a Cyberinsurance Policy,” HeplerBroom University (March 2017)
- “Improving Your Legal Writing,” HeplerBroom University (Edwardsville IL, June 2015; St. Louis MO, March 2016).
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Successfully defended a franchise in enforcing its arbitration clause and compelling arbitration in an appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
- Defeated plaintiff’s motion for class certification and subsequently won summary judgment in a case involving allegations of the unauthorized practice of law in the Circuit Court for Cole County, Missouri.
- Won an expedited parole hearing for a prisoner, in a pro bono representation, where the parole board could not consider certain adverse evidence in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
- Successfully defended an individual accused of breaching his employment agreement with a multi-national equipment rental company in the Circuit Court for Orange County, Florida.
- Successfully defended a genomics company in a sexual harassment and constructive discharge case in the Circuit Court for St. Louis City, Missouri.
- Successfully defended a real estate brokerage company accused of violating the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act in a proposed class action in the Circuit Court for St. Louis County, Missouri.
- Won dismissal for failure to state a claim for law firm accused of price-fixing and other antitrust violations in the Circuit Court for St. Louis County, Missouri.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice for national federal loan servicer accused of violating Telephone Consumer Protection Act in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.