St. Louis, MO
Areas of Practice
- Class Action
- Employment & Labor Law
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Princeton University, B.A. in History, magna cum laude, 2003
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the
- 7th Circuit
- 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Southern District of Illinois
- District of Maryland
- District of Columbia
Charles N. Insler concentrates his practice on complex commercial litigation including antitrust and unfair competition litigation, appellate work, business torts, class action litigation, securities litigation, and cybersecurity. He also has experience representing clients in various insurance matters and has defended employers against discrimination claims. Mr. Insler represents a variety of clients in both state and federal courts.
Before joining HeplerBroom, Mr. Insler worked for a boutique firm in Baltimore, litigating class action securities fraud and fiduciary duty cases in state and federal courts around the country. Before that, he served as the law clerk to a Federal Magistrate Judge on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri and as a staff attorney for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Mr. Insler is an accomplished writer, and his works, both legal and non-legal, have appeared in national and international publications.
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Communications Law
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- St. Louis County Bar Association
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Tulane Maritime Law Journal
- Managing Editor
- Highest Grade in Constitutional Law: Freedoms of Speech and Press
Published Legal Writing
- “How to Tackle Litigation under the Biometric Information Privacy Act,” The Computer and Internet Lawyer (December 2018
- “Understanding the Biometric Information Privacy Act Litigation Explosion,” Illinois Bar Journal (March 2018).
- “O-M-G. Worst Article EVERRRR!!! Or when Does the Yelp-fueled Takedown Rise to Defamation,” Communications Lawyer (Fall 2017).
- “Raging Zombies: Kill Nominalizations, Breathe Life Back into Briefs,” For the Defense (October 2017).
- “Crafting a Cybersecurity Policy: Defending Against Today’s Digital Threats,” In-House Defense Quarterly (Winter 2017).
- “Campbell-Ewald Fails to Rein in the ‘National Cash-Cow’ that is TCPA Litigation,” For the Business Suit (June 3, 2016).
For a complete list of Published Legal Writing, see attached.
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “The Rise of Litigation Under Illinois’s Biometric Information Privacy Act,” HeplerBroom Employment Law Seminar (November 2017)
- “Crafting a Cyberinsurance Policy,” HeplerBroom University (March 2017)
- “Improving Your Legal Writing,” HeplerBroom University (Edwardsville IL, June 2015; St. Louis MO, March 2016).
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Obtained affirmance of dismissal and obtained an attorneys’ fee award for pharmaceutical company against Fortune-50 food production company in breach of contract action before U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Obtained dismissal on personal jurisdiction grounds for auto parts manufacturer in copyright and trademark infringement action in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
- Discovered the identity of anonymous Yahoo! email address associated with defamatory and disparaging emails in a Rule 224 action in Peoria County, Illinois.
- Successfully represented brokerage firm on appeal to Fifth District Court of Appeals in Illinois, with court holding that trial court erred when it failed to enforce client’s arbitration clause.
- Defeated class certification in an action for sexual discrimination brought by professor of medicine against a state university medical school.
For a complete list of Representative/Recent Case Results, see attached.