- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, J.D., with Certificate in Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2007
- University of Iowa, B.A. in Political Science, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Isaac R. Melton concentrates his practice on first- and third-party insurance defense and insurance coverage, along with fraud and bad faith litigation. He represents a broad range of clients and has extensive civil litigation experience, including successfully taking numerous cases to verdict. He has also been involved in numerous uninsured and underinsured arbitrations both as counsel for the insurer and as an arbitrator.
Mr. Melton also does extensive work counseling and representing insurers on issues involving medical fraud. He has assisted in the investigation of fraudulent claims and has presented on numerous topics associated with medical fraud. Throughout his career, Mr. Melton has filed and effectively prosecuted numerous affirmative litigation actions on behalf of his insurance company clients.
Before joining HeplerBroom in 2016, he practiced with a regional full-service defense firm. Previously, he was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Allen S. Goldberg, a commercial law judge in the Circuit Court of Cook County.
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- International Association of Special Investigation Units
- National Society of Professional Insurance Investigators
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Illinois Super Lawyers
- Rising Star (2016-2021)
Published Legal Writing
- “Uncovering Fraudulently Incorporated Professional Service Corporations,” Defense Research Institute Insurance Law Committee Newsletter, Vol. 30 Iss. 10 (November 14, 2019). (Co‑author)
- “‘Reasonable Belief’ Exclusion,” Johnson & Bell Insurance Newsletter (2012)
- “Issues Regarding Treatment at Unlicensed Surgery Centers,” Johnson & Bell, Ltd. Insurance Law Alert (Fall 2011).
- “Anti-Indemnity Statutes that Affect the Transportation Industry,” AFLA Transportation Compendium (May 2011).
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Whose Claim is It Anyway? Claims Involving Mortgagees, Foreclosures and Bankruptcies,” Chicago, Chicago-Northwest, and West Suburban Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) Chapters’ Insurance Law and Coverage Seminar (Oak Brook IL, 2017).
- “Examination under Oath for the SIU,” National Insurance Crime Bureau Special Investigations Academy (St. Louis MO, 2017).
- “Preparing Your Insurance Claims Representative for Deposition and Trial,” International Association of Arson Investigators and the Insurance Committee for Arson Control (Las Vegas NV, 2017).
- “Preserving Issues for Appellate Review,” Advanced Appellate Practice Seminar, Appellate Lawyers Association (Chicago IL, 2017).
- “Updates & Trends: Medical Fraud, Bad Faith and Legal Decisions,” International Association of Special Investigations Units (Woodridge IL, 2017).
Representative/Recent Case Results
- $4,000 verdict for Plaintiff; asked for $475,000 (Brenda Varnado v. Brian Jaskierski, Marybeth Jaskierski and ACAT Leasing, Ltd., 18 L 005901, Feb 2017)
- $225.00 verdict for Plaintiff; asked $90,000 (Alexander v. Aaron, 15 L 7181, July 2017)
- Defense verdict (Kozik v. Nagy, 15 L 3708, April 2017)
- Verdict for Allstate (Allstate v. Reese, 12 CH 18514, May 2015)
- Defense verdict (Murphy v. State Farm, 07 L 14481, March 2014) (Click here and go to page 2 to see further information on this case from Jury Verdict Reporter)