- Southern Illinois University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2004
- Western Illinois University, B.A. in Communication, magna cum laude, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- United States District Courts for the
- Central District of Illinois
- Southern District of Illinois
Michael P. Murphy focuses his practice in the area of environmental law, including litigating enforcement matters before state and federal courts and administrative agencies, assisting clients with environmental compliance questions involving federal and state environmental statutes and regulations, and assisting clients in permitting, rule-making, and regulatory relief. He also has experience in the defense of a wide variety of cases, including those involving:
- premises liability
- automobile accidents
- school bus accidents
- construction injuries
- contract disputes
- insurance coverage
- wrongful death
- products liability
- property damage
Mr. Murphy spent his first five years with HeplerBroom in its Edwardsville, Illinois, office, practicing in Madison and St. Clair Counties, as well as in counties throughout Southern Illinois. In 2009, he joined the firm’s Central Illinois office in Springfield.
He has acted as lead counsel and as part of the trial team in jury and non-jury trials. He has prevailed on motions for summary judgment in both federal and state courts. Mr. Murphy has argued and prevailed in appeals in both the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and the Illinois Appellate Court for the Third District. He has also prepared briefs in several appeals in the Illinois appellate courts and the Supreme Court of Illinois that resulted in decisions in favor of the firm’s clients.
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Lincoln-Douglas Inn of Court
- Sangamon County Bar Association
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, Emerging Lawyer (2015-2020)
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2011-2019)
- Named one of 2015 “40 Business Leaders Under Forty” by the Springfield Business Journal.
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Award for Academic Excellence
- Southern Illinois University Law Journal member
- Judicial Clerkship Extern, United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois, Honorable Michael M. Mihm
Published Legal Writing
- “What Do Recent Environmental Enforcement Decisions Mean for Your Company?” The Illinois Manufacturer (Fourth Quarter 2019). (Co-author with HeplerBroom partners Jennifer Martin and Alec Messina) (This article can be read here.)
- “Midwest Generation Seeks Reconsideration of Pollution Control Board Ruling Constricting Effective Period of Groundwater Management Zones to Duration of Active Remedial Work,” HeplerBroom Blog (October 15, 2019). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “New USEPA Clean Water Act Guidance on Groundwater Previews Supreme Court Position and Applies in Illinois, Missouri, and 34 Other States,” HeplerBroom Blog (April 22, 2019). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Illinois Courts Should Reject Medical Monitoring Claims for Uninjured Plaintiffs,” Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel Quarterly (March 2014). (This article can be read here.)
- "Let the Broker Beware: Illinois Appellate Court Affirms $23.8 Million Verdict Against Freight Broker," In Transit (Defense Research Institute Trucking Law Committee Newsletter) (August 2011). (Co-author with HeplerBroom partner Michael Reda) (This article can be read here.)
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Environmental Enforcement: Avoid if Possible, Navigate if Necessary,” Environmental Basics Conference sponsored by the Illinois Environmental Regulatory Group and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (Springfield IL, 2019). (Co-presenter)
- “Illinois’ Time-Limited Water Quality Standards,” HalfMoon Education Inc., Illinois Water Laws and Regulations Seminar (Naperville IL, 2019).
- “The Long Lost Public Notice Requirement: Illinois’ Settlements Entail NPDES Permit Enforcement Actions,” Illinois State Bar Association’s 18th Annual Environmental Law Conference (Chicago, 2019).
- “Public Notice for NPDES Settlements in Illinois,” Illinois Environmental Regulatory Group, Water Basics seminar (Springfield IL, 2017).
- “Proving and Disproving Damages in Personal Injury Cases: Impaired Earning Capacity (from the defense perspective),” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education seminar (January 31, 2014).