- Southern Illinois University School of Law, 1998
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, B.A. in Political Science, 1995
Alec Messina spearheads the firm’s Government Affairs practice group. He also works with clients in HeplerBroom’s Environmental Practice Group.
As head of the Government Affairs Practice Group, Messina:
- advises clients on administrative, regulatory, and legislative matters in the environmental, energy, natural resources, agriculture, and administrative law areas before the Illinois General Assembly and units of state and local government
- assists clients in developing strong relationships with key decision makers, advocates effectively on behalf of their interests, and provides timely communication and legislative reports on matters impacting their businesses
- helps craft innovative solutions to clients’ important problems and issues
As part of the Environmental Law Practice Group, he:
- counsels clients regarding compliance with various state and federal environmental laws and regulations
- advises clients in all phases of environmental permitting and enforcement matters, as well as in regulatory relief proceedings
Messina has 20 years of experience in environmental law, policy development and implementation, and legislative advocacy. He has worked closely with corporate senior executives, law firms, consultants, lobbyists, government affairs staff, and business development organizations to secure the necessary environmental permits and other authorizations for companies expanding in or relocating to Illinois. He also has vast experience testifying before the Illinois General Assembly on the impacts of environmental legislation and policy matters.
Prior to joining HeplerBroom, Messina served as the Director of the Illinois EPA. He also served as Policy Adviser for Environment and Energy in the Office of the Governor, where he oversaw policy development and implementation for six state agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Agriculture, Department of Natural Resources, Illinois Commerce Commission, Illinois Pollution Control Board, and Illinois Power Agency.
Before joining the Governor’s Office, Messina worked as Executive Director of the Illinois Environmental Regulatory Group, a company-based association with the primary mission of influencing the development of policy, regulatory, and legislative environmental matters in Illinois. In this role, he worked closely with plant managers, environmental professionals, and government affairs staff for company-members of the association, as well as companies affiliated with numerous business and trade groups. He has also served as Chief Legal Counsel for the Illinois EPA and the Office of the State Fire Marshal, and has held various other positions inside and outside of state government.
Published Legal Writing
- “What Do Recent Environmental Enforcement Decisions Mean for Your Company?” The Illinois Manufacturer (Fourth Quarter 2019). (Co-author with HeplerBroom partners Jennifer Martin and Michael Murphy) (This article can be read here.)
- “Illinois Passes New Environmental Legislation in Spring 2019 Session,” HeplerBroom Blog (June 28, 2019). (This blog post can be read here.)
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Environmental Hot Topics,” Three Rivers Manufacturers’ Association webinar (2021).
- “Latest Developments on Environmental Justice,” Chemical Industry Council of Illinois’ January Enforcement Seminar (virtual) (2021). (Co-presenter)
- “Emerging Issues: PFAS Assessment and Mitigation,” Illinois Manufacturers’ Association Annual Environmental Conference (held virtually, 2020). (co-presenter)
- “Environmental Enforcement: Avoid if Possible, Navigate if Necessary,” Environmental Basics Conference sponsored by the Illinois Environmental Regulatory Group and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (Springfield IL, 2019) (Co-presenter)
- “An Environmental Enforcement Overview,” Illinois Manufacturing Association, Environmental Compliance Conference (Oak Forest IL, 2019). (co-presenter)
- “Hot Topics—Including Air Toxics and Ethylene Oxide Regulation,” Air & Waste Management Association’s 2019 Air Quality Management Conference (Oakbrook Terrace IL, 2019)
- “SPCC Plans: A Review,” Chemical Industry Council of Illinois, Hot Topics Seminar (St. Louis MO, 2019). (co‑presenter)
- “What Else Can Shut Your Facility Down?” “When You Are Doing Business Legally, Then The Government Says You’re Not” Seminar, Chemical Industry Council of Illinois (Countryside IL, 2019)
- “Illinois’ Evolving Environmental Regulatory Scheme,” 2019 Synergy Forum, Illinois Association of Defense Council and Illinois Manufacturers’ Association (Itasca IL, 2019)