St. Louis, MO
- St. Louis University School of Law, J.D., 1999
- St. Louis University School of Public Health, Masters in Health Administration, 1999
- University of Illinois, B.A. in History, with minor in Microbiology, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Southern District of Illinois
Bharat Varadachari focuses his practice on trials involving complex business litigation matters, including:
- Trucking/Large Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- General Insurance Defense
- Products and Premises Liability
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Construction Defects
- Benzene Exposure/Toxic Tort
- Evaluation of Phase 1, Phase 2, and Phase 3 Site Assessments
- Jones Act/Maritime Matters
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- The Lawyers Association of St. Louis
- President (2018-2019)
- St. Louis County Bar Association
- Executive Board
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Vice-President, St. Louis Chapter
- Transporation Committee
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Inns of Court
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Vice Chair, Legislative Committee
- Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- Education Committee
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- AV Preeminent® Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Nominated for Lon Hocker Award (2006)
- Awarded to lawyers under 35 years of age who have demonstrated excellence in the art of trial advocacy in the State of Missouri
- Lead counsel in obtaining verdict rated “2013 7th Best Verdict in the State of Missouri” by Missouri Lawyers Media
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers
- Rising Star (2010-2012)
Published Legal Writing
- “Peace with a Purpose: Turning Terminated Drivers into Effective Witnesses,” Claims Management Magazine (September 2019). (Co-author) (This article can be read here.)
- “Growing a Thick Skin: How to Insulate Your Warm-Blooded Driver Against Reptilian Attacks,” Claims Management Magazine (September 2018). (Co-author) (This article can be read here.)
- “Driving While Drowsy: Fatigue of the Driver as a Basis for Punitive Damages,” Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Litigation Management Magazine (Spring 2015).
- “Missouri, Illinois Collateral Source Rules Affect Bodily Injuries Differently,” The Insurance Journal (October 5, 2009).
- “Standard of Punitive Damages in Medical Malpractice Actions,” IADC (April 2000).
Legal Lectures & Presentations
Mr. Varadachari has given numerous presentations, both nationally and locally, on topics including bad faith litigation, defense of trucking companies, insurance defense, and general trial tactics.
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Defense verdict for a motorcycle dealership limiting Plaintiff’s damages to $180,000 in a wrongful death case. Plaintiff alleged that the dealership negligently modified a motorcycle, resulting in the death of a passenger. Plaintiff asked the jury to return a verdict of between $2.5 million and $4 million. Plaintiff’s last settlement demand before trial was $2.5 million.
- Defense verdict for trucking company. Plaintiffs alleged Mr. Varadachari’s client initiated a right turn from the left lane. One plaintiff sustained a fractured skull, broken nose, broken pelvis, and broken ribs. The co-plaintiff sustained neck and back injuries.
- Defense verdict for insurance carrier in an uninsured motorist case.
Mr. Varadachari defended the insurance carrier on allegations that there was a phantom vehicle/uninsured motorist that struck the co-defendant’s vehicle. Jury placed 100 percent of fault on the co-defendant.
- Defense verdict for trucking company in wrongful death case. Plaintiffs alleged that Mr. Varadachari’s client’s employee struck a pedestrian on the shoulder of the highway, killing him. Plaintiffs had requested $3.3 million from the jury.