Employment & Labor Law
The employment relationship is governed by a tangled web of laws, regulations, and court decisions. These rules are complicated, and the consequences for even inadvertent violations can be high fines, penalties, back pay awards, punitive, damages and attorneys’ fees. Therefore, HeplerBroom’s Employment and Labor Practice Group emphasizes preventive, practical, and creative approaches to employee relations, including:
- Advising on day-to-day employment issues, including preparation and review of employee handbooks; human resource-related policies, procedures, and training; and recommended best practices to avoid litigation.
- Preparing continuing education and other seminars for employers and human relations professionals on various employment topics, including updates on changes in the law.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable wage & hour laws and regulations before problems arise by auditing client procedures, developing policies and procedures that comply with the laws, and representing clients in enforcement proceedings.
- Conducting internal investigations for management related to possible discriminatory conduct or violations of employment law.
EXPERIENCED TRIAL LAWYERS
If litigation is required or appropriate, however, we aggressively represent our clients’ interests, frequently resolving the matter at the pre-trial stage with a dispositive motion or favorable settlement.
Our Employment and Labor Practice Group represents employers in a variety of employment-related litigation matters in federal and state courts, including but not limited to, matters involving:
- Title VII, the ADA, the ADEA, the FMLA, the EPA, the FLSA, Section 1983, ERISA litigation, state anti-discrimination statutes, and other related litigation such as claims for wrongful discharge, breach of contract, retaliation, whistleblower, violation of non-solicitation or non-competition agreements, and wage and hour matters.
- Representing employers in dealing with administrative agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Illinois Human Rights Commission (IHRC), Missouri Commission on Human Rights, (MCHR), Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), Illinois Office of Executive Inspector General (OEIG), and National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), as well as other state and local civil rights agencies.
- Providing white-collar criminal defense legal services.
We have extensive experience working with a varied client base that includes companies in the following industries:
- State and Local Government
- Non-profit & Charitable
- Public Utility