St. Louis, MO
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1992
- Oklahoma State University, B.S. in Political Science, 1989
- United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- United States District Court for the
- Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of Illinois
- Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri
Gregg A. Kinney focuses his practice on trials involving complex litigation matters, including:
- Toxic tort benzene exposure
- Products liability
- Premises liability
- Governmental and civil rights
- Jones Act and maritime lawsuits
- Trucking liability
He has represented clients in Illinois, Missouri, and Ohio. He also serves as regional counsel for a national client frequently named in toxic tort litigation in the Midwest. Mr. Kinney represents municipalities and police departments in constitutional claims, including deprivation of civil rights and police misconduct. He also represents school districts and municipalities in general liability matters. In addition, he represents local casinos, as well as a group of colleges and universities throughout Missouri, in personal injury and premises liability claims.
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Madison County Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Leading Lawyer (2015-2020)
Law School Honors/Involvement
- Order of the Coif
Published Legal Writing
- “Murder, Intrigue, Wrongful Arrest, Malicious Prosecution, and …… Insurance Coverage???” HeplerBroom Blog (May 11, 2021). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Cannabis Legalization Efforts: A Constantly Evolving Landscape,” HeplerBroom Blog (February 13, 2020). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Step on a Crack, Break the City’s Bank: Discretionary Immunity Requires a Conscious Decision to Not Repair City Sidewalks,” HeplerBroom Blog (November 14, 2018). (This blog post can be read here.)
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “New Cannabis Laws: What Does the Future Hold?” Illinois Manufacturers’ Association (Edwardsville IL, 2019).
- “Emerging Issues: Cannabis Legalization and Its Impact on Employers and the Workplace,” CPCU and HeplerBroom’s Third Annual Insurance Law and Coverage Seminar (Chicago IL, 2019).
- “Governmental Immunities in Illinois and Missouri,” Tokio Marine HCC Public Risk Group presentation (Auburn Hills MI, 2017).
- “Preparing For and Taking a Medical Deposition,” HeplerBroom University (Edwardsville IL, 2011).
- “Defending Plaintiff’s Claimed Medical Bills in Illinois and Missouri,” HeplerBroom University (Edwardsville IL, 2009).
- “Litigating Slip and Fall Cases in Illinois,” HeplerBroom University (St. Louis MO, 2009).
Representative/Recent Case Results
- Obtained summary judgment for defendants on plaintiffs’ claims of false arrest, false imprisonment, defamation, negligent infliction of emotional distress, failure to train, and breach of contract. (Wallace, et al. v. City of Washington, et al., US District Court, Central District of Illinois, Case No. 1:14-cv-01457; March 2017)
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant as to plaintiff’s premises liability claim, based on issue of constructive notice. (Austin v. Alton Casino, LLC, US District Court, Southern District of Illinois, Case No. 3:14-cv-01258; September 2016)
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant on plaintiff’s claims of false arrest and failure to Mirandize. (Ray v. Kedzior and Martin, US District Court, Central District of Illinois, Case No.1:13-cv.01338; June, 2016)