- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 1992
- University of Michigan, B.A. in English, 1989
- United States District Courts for the
- Northern, Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- Eastern District of Missouri
Jennifer M. Martin focuses her practice in the areas of environmental law and real estate, including representing clients in matters involving:
- Environmental litigation
- Environmental regulatory counseling
- Environmental insurance coverage
- Real estate transactions
Ms. Martin represents clients in federal and state environmental enforcement cases and regulatory proceedings, and counsels clients regarding environmental compliance issues. She also represents clients in property transfers, including the purchase and sale of impacted properties.
Prior to private practice, Ms. Martin was an Assistant Attorney General in the Environmental Control Division of the Illinois Attorney General’s Office, where she represented the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, and Office of State Fire Marshal. She was previously a partner with the environmental law firm Hodge, Dwyer & Driver. In 2016, Hodge, Dwyer & Driver merged into HeplerBroom.
- Central Illinois Women’s Bar Association
- Gateway Society of Hazardous Materials Managers
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Waste Control Coalition
- Advisory Board (2018-2019)
- Sangamon County Bar Association
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2017-2020)
- Profiled in Leading Lawyers Magazine-Real Estate, Construction & Environmental Edition: “Talented Environmental Lawyers Succeeds by Listening” (2018) (This article can be read here.)
Published Legal Writing
- “PFAS Are Here to Stay,” The Illinois Manufacturer (2020, 4th Quarter). (This article can be read here.)
- “County of Maui v. Hawaii Wildlife Fund: What Happens Now?” HeplerBroom Blog (May 28, 2020). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “Understanding and Navigating Federal, Illinois and Missouri COVID-19 Environmental Enforcement Discretion Policies” HeplerBroom Blog (April 21, 2020). (This blog post can be read here.)
- “What Do Recent Environmental Enforcement Decisions Mean for Your Company?” The Illinois Manufacturer (Fourth Quarter 2019). (Co-author with HeplerBroom partners Alec Messina and Michael Murphy). (This article can be read here.)
- “Clean Construction or Demolition Debris and Uncontaminated Soil Fill: What You Need to Know,” The Illinois Manufacturer (Summer 2018). (Co-author) (This article can be read here.)
Legal Lectures & Presentations
- “Emerging Issues: PFAS Assessment and Mitigation,” Illinois Manufacturers’ Association Annual Environmental Conference (held virtually, 2020). (co-presenter)
- “The US Supreme Court’s Decision in County of Maui v. Hawaii Wildlife Fund: How Does This Affect My Company and What Happens Next?” Illinois Environmental Regulatory Group Webinar (June 11, 2020). (Co-presenter)
- “Environmental Law: Looking back at 2019, Looking Forward to 2020,” Environmental Law Committee, The Chicago Bar Association (Chicago IL, 2020).
- “An Environmental Enforcement Overview,” Illinois Manufacturing Association, Environmental Compliance Conference (Oak Forest IL, 2019). (co-presenter)
- “Ethical Issues in Water Law and Regulation,” HalfMoon Education Inc., Illinois Water Laws and Regulations Seminar (Naperville IL, 2019).